Chapter 5 - Feliz Navidad

Chapter Summary: In the last chapter, Jessie had given Aubrey all of her diaries from 1878 forward. With Jessica's blessings and help, 'Promises and Dreams', Jessie's story had been published, much to their delight. Cole had gone to England, to help with the Royal Air Force in the European War efforts...and to be closer to Kathryn Peppin, his fiancée.

Aubrey has just begun working on the next book of Jessie's life...after the Lincoln County War ended.

7 December 1941
The day's events were slowly coming into focus. There was a festive feeling throughout the ranch, as the staff was preparing for the holidays, getting ready to deck the halls. Hanging wreaths, stringing holly, mistletoe, and the sound of holiday cheer filled the house.

Aunt Jessica had told us the night before that she would get an early start and ride out to the foothills of the Capitan's, to scout a festive enough pine to adorn the living room. In her younger years, Aunt Jessica had made it a custom to take a hatchet and personally cut a tree down, and haul it back to the ranch herself. She had planned to the same this year, but Chavez and I convinced her otherwise.

Chavez finished his coffee, as I walked into the kitchen. "She has about a two hour lead on us." He told me, looking down at his watch. "I think that's plenty enough time to find a damn tree."

I chuckled and thought it was amusing how Chavez hid his concern in regards to my Aunt with mock anger.

The plan was to take the Willy's out to where the road ended up in the Capitan's. We were to meet Aunt Jessica there, so she could show us which tree she had picked out.

Carlos came into the kitchen and announced the jeep was ready to go. We headed out, with Carlos behind the wheel, wishing every passerby 'Feliz Navidad!' It was so like him to do this...he always has a smile on his face that seemed to be contagious.

As we turned out onto the paved road, traffic seemed somewhat heavy eastbound towards Roswell. I looked at Chavez in question, but he only gave me a small shrug.

Carlos laughed out loud. "Don't these loco people realize that there are seventeen more shopping days until Christmas?" We all laughed together as we drove towards Lincoln.

The day was cold and there was the scent of snow in the air. Surely, in the higher elevation, there would be acumination. I buttoned my jacket, as we climbed higher into the Capitan Mountains.

After what seemed like an eternity in the canvas roofed jeep, our temperatures were low, but our spirits high. I tried to spur my companions into singing another round of 'Here We Come a Wassailing' as the paved road ended.

The snow began to fall, and that egged us on to sing a rousing bout of 'Jingle Bells'. Carlos and I were singing whole-heartily, when Chavez spied Jessica's horse galloping towards us in the snow. "That's Pal!" He shouted.

Carlos slammed on the brakes so hard; the vehicle skidded to an abrupt stop. Chavez jumped out of the jeep as nimbly as an eighty year old man could. "Eh...that stubborn Bonita!" I could hear him mutter to himself. With his arms spread out, Chavez tried to corral Pal, and calm him with his gentle voice. "Whoa...whoa, Pal."

Aunt Jessica's horse came to a halt in front of Chavez, as he grabbed the reins. Without a word, he slipped his foot into the stirrup, and mounted him. Chavez turned the animal around, and spurred the creature up the path it had come from.

Carlos stared, his mouth hanging open with shock and amazement at Chavez's galloped away. I slapped Carlos on the shoulder. "Follow him!" I shouted, as Carlos snapped his mouth closed, and stepped on the gas petal.

Not too far away, we pulled up to an open clearing. Aunt Jessica was lying on the ground, and Chavez was hovering over her. I flew out of the jeep, and was quickly at Chavez's side. "What happened?" I gasped, as I surveyed her surroundings. She lay underneath the very tree that she was trying to chop down. I pulled the hatchet from her hand, feeling for her pulse. It was slight, much to my relief.

"Carlos! Grab a blanket!" I shouted, taking off my coat, and placing it under her head. Aunt Jessica was unconscious, but alive. The snow was still falling and I was afraid that hyperthermia had already set in.

We carried her back to the jeep, and all got in. It was a tight squeeze but we all managed to make Aunt Jessica as comfortable as possible.

Chavez cradled her in his arms and silently wept at Carlos sped to the hospital in Roswell.

Tears formed in my eyes, as a million things raced through my mind at once. "We must keep her warm as possible." I keep on repeating.

Twenty minutes into our mad dash to Roswell, Aunt Jessica regained conciseness. She slowly moved her hand to caress Chavez's face. "You are the second regulator I have seen today."

Chavez forced a smile, in spite of the tears that freely rolled down his cheeks.

I watched as Aunt Jessica looked in to his eyes. "Do not weep for me my friend. It is now my time and you have fulfilled all pledges that you have made with my father, or any other man. You have been more then a friend to me, you have been my protector...mi Corazon...a true pal."

Chavez took a deep breath as if to speak. But Aunt Jessica placed a finger over his lips. "It's Billy's turn to take care of me now...just like he always promised." She whispered. And with that, she turned to me and smiled. "It's up to you to let the truth be known. I'm placing this burden on you, Aubrey."

I grabbed her hand, and felt the cold chill in her grasp. "I will Aunt Jessica. I will let the world know."

She smiled bravely at me, but I could feel the strength leave her grasp. Aunt Jessica closed her eyes, and then she was gone.

We drove back to the ranch, with Chavez still cradling Aunt Jessica's body as he chanted something in Navajo. My very being ached...I felt as if I where viewing the last hour of my life on a movie screen. I was merely a spectator of some awful piece of rubbish that was intended to squeeze your soul. My eyes where red and swollen, and the lump in my throat threatened to choke me outright.
Carlos navigated the vehicle up the drive and stopped in front of the hacienda. I hadn't noticed on the way in, but now I realized that there was a lot of activity about. I turned my head to see Javier, Carlos's younger brother, running up to meet us. He seemed very disturbed. How could he know?

Before anyone could say anything to Javier, he was in front of the jeep, speaking rapid Spanish and English all at once to his older brother. It was impossible to understand him.

"What the hell's wrong with you, Javier? Just spit it out!" Carlos roared at him.

"Those goddamn Japs bombed Pearl Harbor...WE ARE AT WAR!" Javier finally shouted.

My mind decided that this was way too much information to process at one time. The only thing I can think at this point is how we can get Cole back in time for the funeral.

Right then, my internal defense mechanisms took over and immediately shut down my thought process. I climbed out of the jeep and slowly felt myself grow heavy, and collapsed to the ground.

Okay...please excuse the derogatory term listed above in regards to the Japanese. Now remember, back in the days of WWII, a lot of people in America were prejudiced against them, because of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Thank you for understanding.