Chapter 6

*Chapter 6*

I don't know what was worse, the stares that followed us everywhere we went or the whispers. To be honest they were both insufferable and I don't know how I didn't snap within the first week. I was starting to understand why he was raised in the muggle world and by muggles. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have the stares and whispers follow you everywhere you go. He was lucky to not have been followed by them for ten years of his life. It didn't help that Hogwarts most definately hated me. The 142 staircases which moved whenever I seemed to get on them were bad enough but with the doors that didn't go anywhere or couldnt be unlocked and the people in the paintings which seemed to be constently visiting each other. Every single time I got on one of those staircases they moved and took me to somewhere which I most definately didn't want to go, like the broom closet. 142 staircases of pure evil were definately not made any more sufferable by the ghosts who took pleasure in popping up when I was extremely frustrated with the staircases. However the caretaker, Filch, his demon cat Mrs.Norris were by far the worst. He seemed to take pleasure in childrens pain and if you ever did somethign wrong or broke a rule infront of either of them you were well and truly screwed. Put it all together and you have my personal hell yet I some how managed to enjoy every single second of it.

"Guys," started Harry after reading his moring mail, suddenly breaking my train of thought and bringing me out of my day dream, "do you guys want to come to Hagrids after lunch with me today? I mean I totally understand if you don't want to. It's just we're friends but it's your free time you have the right to do what you want to do with it, you know what just forget it. I just thought it might be something you both might want to..." I interrupted his mumbling, "Harry we'd love to come, wouldn't we Ron?" After recieving a nod from Ron we went back to exchanging horror stories about opur potions teacher, Professor Snape. Each second that passed Harry became visably more terrified. Eventually, when Harry looked on the verge of mental break down, I gave Ron a firm yet effective kick in the shin, shutting him up. "Ron, stop! Harry we'll be fine, we don't actually know if any of these stories are ture. Fred and George are terrible, once they told Ron that the gnomes in our gardens were actually aliens who came to earth to eat our brains and the only way to stop them was by wearing underwear on your head and Ron being Ron believed him." By the time I had finished talking Harry was crying with laughter and Ron was as red as a tomatoe.

Before we knew it the three of us were in the dungeons wating outside of the potions classroom. The dungeons were considerably colder than the rest of the castle and the smell of damp that went with the temperature wasn't at all comforting. All around me people were stood terrified, well at least the Gryffindors were. All of us had heard that Snape favoured the Slytherins. I doubted that subtlety was his strong point. God how I wished Professor McGonagall favoured us but that was a long shot although I suspected that she did prefer us. If she did she was very good at covering it up. Suddenly the classroom door opened and our chatter ceased. "Enter" said a chilling voice. As we all went into the classroom and took our seats the chatter between us was no longer there and it was replaced by undeniable tension. I sat besides Harry and Ron and waited for the Proffessor, who currently had his back to us, to start the lesson.

Proffessor Snap was a tall man, upon first glance you could tell he was not a particularly nice man. His ghost white skin and black soulless eyes only added to the effect. His shoulder length hair was pitch black and greasy, his nose was long and almost witch like. His lips were thin and gave the impression that they had only ever differed from that position when he was sneering at somebody. I seriously doubted he had ever smiled in his life. Despite his eyes being soulless everytime he looked at me I had the feeling that he could see into my soul, the thought alone making me shiver. I could tell this lesson was going to be long.