Chapter 4

*Chapter Four*

After Professor McGonagall made her speach all the first years including myelf made our way into the great hall. Each of us were mesmarized by the star filled cielings and floating candles that hovered above the pupils of Hogwarts. Behind me many people began whispered conversations about the pure beauty of the hall we were being lead down. On either side of me were long tables that were each surrounded in many students. Immediatley my eyes were drawn to the two heads of ginger hair on the Gryffindor table where my older brothers sat grinning at me whilst Percy simply nodded in acknowledgement of my presence. Slowly we reached the front of the hall where we stood infront of the teachers table. Looks of excitement and fear on each of our faces. McGonagall placed the stool that she was carrying infront of the large crowd of first years and placed the ragged hat on top. Suddenly the hat burst out in song which everyone listened to.

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!

Applause broke out as the sorting hat finished it's song but soon we hushed as Dumbledore rose from his seat. "Let the sorting begin!" As I waited patiently for my name to be called out I began questioning what house I would be put into. I had always assumed it would be Gryffindor simply because that is where the rest of my family have been but now I'm not sure. Ravenclaw perhaps? No it can't be that, I'm not nearly smart enough for Ravenclaw. Slytherin? Surely not, I mean I might occasionally enjoy ranking with my brothers but that doesn't mean I'm evil, does it? Gryffindor? I'm not sure, I always assumed it would be but am I brave enough to even be considered for that house? Hufflepuff seems the most likely now, although I'd never admit it, that's where all the rest go isn't it? But I'm not loyal. Maybe they'll tell me it's all a mistake and that I'm a squib. Yes that's probably what will happen.

I was suddenly broke out of my train of thought when Proffessor McGonagall called out, "Lucinda Weasley". I could feel my heart beating rapidly as I made my way towards the stool. Once I was sat down the hat was placed on my head and I could immediately hear it in my mind. "Ahh, another Weasley," it whispered menecisingly causing me to gulp, "I see you question where you belong child but you are most definitely not a squib. You are destined for great things but the question is in which house will you accomplish these things? You were right about one thing though, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are most certainly not for you. Slytherin on the other hand may prove to help you thrive." My heart seemed to stop as I kept chanting in my mind "not Slytherin,not Slytherin". "Ah you do not wish to be put into Slytherin I see, but why is that? Slytherin could help you child. But Gryffindor will most definitely be a better fit. Yes you will do well there." After the hats stopped talking in my mind it shouted thoughout the hall, "Gryffindor!"

Cheers erupted from the red and gold table. I could see Fred and George stood up shouting, "that's my sister!" in perfect harmony. Laughing I hurriedly ran down the steps and took a seat next to my two older brothers, beaming from ear to ear as I shook hands with my fellow first years. I met Seamus Finnegan, an adorable Irish boy who had a large smile, Dean Thomas, a boy with dark hair, Neville Longbottom, a small boy with a rather round face who seemed to be a clutz, and Hemione Granger, the girl who I met on the train with large bushy hair and a bossy nature. Ron, along with Harry, was put into Gryffindor to my upmost delight. Once again I tuned out of the conversations that were beginning around me. Suddenly the room once again filled with cheers as the plates magically filled up with food infront of us. My mouth immediately started watering as I reached out for a rather large chicken leg. Before long the food had been cleared and we were allowed to go to or dormitories for the night, our classes beginning in the morning.

After being shown to my dormitory I quickly got changed from my robes, into my cotton pyjamas. Parvita Patil, an Indian girl, took the bed closest to the door, Lavender Brown, a talkative girl, took the bed next to her. Hermione took the bed on the left side of where I was standing, leaving me with the four poster bed stood informt of the large bay window that looked out onto the quidditch pitch. Sighing dreamily at the thought of flying through the crisp air on a broomstick with my hair billowing behind me I climed into my bed, drew the curtains and immediately drifted off into a deep sleep, dreaming of the day that lay ahead.