Chapter 5

*Chapter 5*

Suddenly I was awoken by a loud screeching noise that was echoing throughout the dorm room. After realising it was my alarm clock I groaned and slammed my fist hard on the snooze button, probably breaking the majority of the clock whilst I was at it. I sat up, expecting to see my messy room back at the burrow, the walls covered in quidditch posters and the floor hidden beneath a large amount of long forgotten clothes, instead I was greated with the sight of 3 other girls rushing to tame their hair and get dressed in the gryffindor first year girls dorm room.Suddenly I remembered that I was at hogwarts and it was my first day. Groaning, I rose to my feet anmd began my daily routine. Eventually I was finsihed brushing my teeth and hair and I was finally dressed and ready fopr breakfast. However when I looked at the clock that I had previously attempted to murder I saw it was already 8:40 and that I only had 20 minutes to find the great hall, collect my schedual and arrive at class. Without wasting another second I quickly left the dorm room, bag in hand, and began my search for the hall. My robes billowed behind me as I ran down the empty corridors, following the sound of chatter and cutlery hitting plates. Soon I had arrived at the great hall, panting and extremely red faced, and collected my time table. However I did not have time to have breakfast and couldnt seem to find Harry or Ron anywhere, causing me to have to walk to my first class alone.

Eventually I found my way to the greenhouses, in which my first lesson of the year was held. Immediately I searched the room for my red haided twin and raven haired friend, when I found them in the corner of the room, with a pare seat next to them. I dismissed them with a quick "I'll explain later." whne they asked why they had not seen me at breakfast. The teacher, Professor.Sprout, taught herbology as well as being the head of hufflepuff house. She was rather round and short, slightly resembling the gnomes that were constantly infesting our garden. Her grey hair was anything but timid and was reluctently stuffed beneath a patched witches hat. her clothes her covered in an unnatural amount of earth along with her fingernails.Although her appearance was not particuarly appealing her warm and welcoming smile made up for it. Upon sight you could tell that she had been in Hufflepuff. Her cheerfulness and positivity radiated off of her as if she was aa ray of light. However when she began speaking and telling us the rules of the greenhouse her nature seemed to changes. Instead of being the warm 'grandmother-like' women she had seemed to be just moments before she became a strice teacher who did not tolorate the slightest disrespect or tardiness. Although she was still smiling brightly as she harshly explained the consequences of not following the rules she had set many studesst were sat on the stools laid out for them shocked into silence.I admit my expectationd for Herbology were diminished but soon rose again when all harshness disappeared from her face and she began talking about different plants and fungi and their uses. Overall it was quite a successful lesson despite the unlimited amount of earth and dirt that seemed to be in that small greenhouses.

When we exited the greenhouses I explained why I had not been at breakfast, the reason my belly was rumbling constantly. My hatred for my alarm clock seemed to increases at this. The days seemed to pass increadibly quickly, my first week almost ending. Most classes were intresting to say the least. History of Magic was the only exception as well as being the only class taught by a ghost. Apparently Professor Binns just got up one day to teach and left his body behind. His monotone voice droned on about the Goblin Rebellion as numerous students slept, read or most commonly talked to one another. Hermione was the only one who seemed to take notes in this exceedingly dull class that seemed to hold nop relevence to everyday life. Charms though was a blast. Professor Flitwick was a small man who had to stand on a large pile of books to even be able to see over his desk that was piled high with various paperwork and unmarked tests, despite the fact it wasn't even the end of the first week yet. He often let us work in small groups, giving us plenty of time to talk. On Wednesday at Midnight we studied the night stars from the top of the Astromony tower. Professor Sinistra taught us all the names of the diffirent stars and the movements of the planets. Professor Quirrell, the teacher of Defence Against the Dark Arts, is a very cautious man. He stutters constantly and wears a turban on his head, his room and himself stinks like garlic. Apparently he has an unfortunate run in with a vampire and he has never been the same since. It is said that his turban is stuffed to the brim with vampire repellent. The care taker, filch and his evil cat Mrs.Norris take pleasure in screaming and threatening children for no reason and a joy making our lives a living hell.

Professor McGonagall, the head of Gryffindor house, was beyond strict. From the second we walked into her classroom silence was present. She listed all of her expectations of us and they were immediately drilled into our brains as we feared the consequences if we werent obedient. But somehow I liked her, she didn't tolerate misbehaviour but she was nice enough and genuinely cared about the students, not just the grades. She seemed like the sort of women who constantly puts others before her self and I respect her for that. I know for sure that she has a soft side, however well hidden, and I am determined to find it. Overall the professors aren't bad, the lessons are tolerable and the food is to die for. The only downsides are the constantly moving staircases, which most definitely despise me and their number one goal is to make me as late as humanly possible to every class. Also peeves the poltergeist. To be fair though after being pranked by him for a day I grew sick and decided to make an alliance with him, as we are both fellow prankers. Me and the twins are yet to make our first prank of the year as a team but the plans are coming along nicely. We still can't decide between somehow making the Slytherin's unable to speak and instead all they can do is roar and filling Filch's office with dungbombs.

The other houses were mostly friendly. Ravenclaw could be bossy at times and we didn't really socialize much but Parvita's twin sister Padma was a Ravenclaw and she's nice so I suppose their not all that bad. Hufflepuff are exactly what they are described as, kind and loyal, but we dont really have any lessons together and I only know a few. However theres a boy, Cedric Diggory, who is two years older than me who is nice and we've grown quite close. But despite th majority of the students being nice, Slytherin's are the total opposite. Their main purpose in life is to make our lives hell, especially Draco Malfoy and his minions, Crabbe and Goyle. Harry and Draco are practically enemies and despise each other. Pansy Parkinson isn't much better though and she constantly screams at me down the corridor, "this must be an improvement to your hut back home Weasel!" which is getting quite annoying to be homest but oh well, we'll see who's laughing when she has a flashing arrow following her around all day saying 'kick me'. Tomorrow we have double potions first thing with the Slytherins and I'm dreading it. Apparently Professor Snape favours his house above all others.