↳ 03

After the dean announced that there would be a new drama teacher this year, Autumn saw the woman from the parking lot stand up from her place in the bleachers and walk towards the small podium that stood a few meters in front of the students.

"Please, hold your applause." The woman said as she grabbed some kind of t-shirt gun and threw the t-shirt at a boy's face. "Go Wildcats!" She exclaimed while the audience remained silent. She then grabbed a microphone and walked towards the front of the bleachers.

"My name... is Miss Jenn, and when I heard that the high school where High School Musical was shot had never staged a production of High School Musical - the musical -," The woman, now known as Ms. Jenn, said as she paced back and forth, her words causing the students to whisper amongst themselves. "I was shocked as an actress, inspired as a director, and triggered as a millennial."

"Millennial?" Gina murmured, making Autumn laugh softly. The latter was certainly interested in this musical - she was obsessed with the High School Musical trilogy, so this was an opportunity she most definitely wouldn't pass.

"Auditions are tomorrow after school." Miss Jenn announced, smiling. "This show could change your lives. And I'm saying this as a background dancer from the original movie. Third from the left, back row, red headband, and those are my real teeth, so..."

As the woman blurted out, the brunette boy that was standing near her this whole time tried to, not so subtly, steal the microphone from her hands while smiling at the crowd.

As if suddenly remembering his presence, Miss Jenn quickly introduced him. "Oh, and meet your student choreographer, Carlos. You know him as captain of the color guard. I know him as an unpaid, rising star." She spoke, before moving the microphone away from her mouth. "But seriously I have no budget."

The school bell rang, signaling the beginning of classes, and all the students rose from their seats, making their way outside of the gym.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂

ɴɪɴɪ sᴀʟᴀᴢᴀʀ-ʀᴏʙᴇʀᴛs, ᴊᴜɴɪᴏʀ

I've spent two years in the chorus of East High. I mean, it would be insane to think I might actually have a shot at playing Gabriella. Right?

──────────

ᴄᴀʀʟᴏs ʀᴏᴅʀɪɢᴜᴇᴢ, sᴏᴘʜᴏᴍᴏʀᴇ

As the school's resident High School Musical historian, I basically have zero chills about this right now. I've seen the original movie 37 times, and the first 15 minutes of both sequels.

──────────

ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ᴄᴀᴍᴘʙᴇʟʟ, ᴊᴜɴɪᴏʀ

I know it's only my first day and all but this is huge! Since I was, like, four years old, I've always dreamed of being a part of the High School Musical series. I'm definitely auditioning for this thing. Honestly, even if I'm cast as a background dancer, I'll still be happy.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂

At lunch, Autumn, Ricky, and Big Red sat at a table in the cafeteria. Autumn had invited Gina, but the girl simply said she wasn't that hungry. The three of them were watching Kourtney, Nini, and presumably, Nini's boyfriend, who were all sitting at a table not too far from there.

"Dude, are you seeing this?" Big Red asked Ricky. Autumn discreetly slapped the redhead boy's hand to stop him from pointing towards Ricky's ex.

"Red, don't point at people. It's rude and not as discreet as you think." Autumn warned, though her voice was soft.

"I'm seein' it, I'm hearin' it, I'm hatin' it." Ricky mumbled, his gaze falling from Nini to his food. The girl frowned, not knowing how to cheer up her friend.

Until that moment, they had only seen the back of Nini's 'mysterious boyfriend'. When some boys wearing East High's jackets - as was Nini's new bae - approached him, he finally turned to a position in which the three friends could at least see his face.

Big Red gasped as recognition filled his little eyes. "I can't believe it. She's dating EJ Caswell!" Big Red exclaimed, a very surprised look on his face.

Autumn's gaze turned from EJ holding Nini to her friends. She didn't know this boy, but nonetheless, this was bad news - Nini seemed pretty happy with her new boyfriend and she didn't even glance in Ricky's way.

"Yes, I have eyes," Ricky mumbled in a dejected tone, his eyes turning towards the cheerful couple again.

"I don't get it. Why is this EJ guy such a big deal? What makes him so special?" Autumn asked, frowning as confusion took over her mind.

"Well, I mean, he's the co-captain of the water polo team." Red said, to which Ricky responded with a quiet 'yep'.

"He's also senior class treasurer." he continued, once more receiving a response from Ricky, this time a soft 'that's correct'.

"I mean, what are the odds that the guy she hooks up with at camp goes to East High?" Red enquired his friends, not noticing how his words were only putting Ricky down even further if that was possible.

"Apparently, the odds are exceptionally good," Autumn said, sending Big Red a harsh look and gesturing her head to Ricky, who was looking beyond frustrated.

"I'm sorry, dude." Red apologized to his best friend. "What are you gonna do?"

"I don't know," Ricky said, sighing as his eyes moved between his two friends. "No offense, but the one person I go to for advice is currently on her honeymoon in the cafeteria." The brunette boy finishes, trying to keep his cool as he grabs his backpack and walks away without another word.

﹏﹏﹏

Autumn exited the car and close the car door, waving at Big Red before watching him park in the house next to hers.

She quickly shook herself out of her trance before walking up the stairs leading to her porch, opening the white door, and entering the house. The teenager placed her blue backpack on the couch before calling for her mother.

"Mom, I'm home!" Autumn shouted and soon, the familiar figure of Claire appeared in the kitchen doorway. The blonde was smiling at her daughter.

"How was your day?" Claire asked while Autumn ran towards her, engulfing her in a tight hug.

"Well, the day was amazing," Autumn said. She then proceeded to tell her mother all the news, an excited expression covering her face. Clair chuckled at Autumn's cheerful state, happy that her daughter was already enjoying Salt Lake City.