↳ 06

Everyone was currently backstage because the production staff was measuring everyone or showing the outfits that were already available.

EJ was talking to some girl about a few jackets that looked way too outdated for a high school kid, while Ashlyn was being measured by Kourtney. Autumn was sitting near the redheaded girl, looking at the mirror in disbelief.

It was all surreal. The brunette didn't intend to score one of the biggest roles – after all, she had auditioned for Taylor. Not that she didn't appreciate getting the part of Gabriella, of course she did. But she was still surprised.

Nini entered the room and the girl who had previously measured Autumn rushed to her, her measuring tape in hand.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂

ɴɪɴɪ sᴀʟᴀᴢᴀʀ-ʀᴏʙᴇʀᴛs, ᴊᴜɴɪᴏʀ

I have dreamed about playing the lead at East High since ninth grade. I auditioned, okay, I guess I didn't really audition. They were doing Beauty and the Beast and the old drama teacher asked me to be a fork. After that, I was the back of a cow in Gypsy. But in my heart, I was Dainty June. And now, I'm Kelsi. At first, I was kinda sad I didn't get the role I was aiming for, but now I'm fine. I've decided I'll be the best Kelsi this school has ever seen. And Ricky is not going to ruin this for me.

──────────

ᴇᴊ ᴄᴀsᴡᴇʟʟ, sᴇɴɪᴏʀ

He's already ruined this for me. And Autumn too, but I can't blame her – with that talent, of course she was going to score the lead role. Nini's talented too. Autumn just had the advantage of singing a song of her own.

──────────

ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ᴄᴀᴍᴘʙᴇʟʟ, ᴊᴜɴɪᴏʀ

Being the lead in a musical is a true dream come true. Even more, if it's a production of High School Musical! I'm so nervous. I used to participate in a few musicals in my old school, yes, but never got such an important role. I don't know if it's a gift or a curse yet. Gina is fine with this, which I'm relieved, and she is very proud of me. But Ricky has been a little tense. I guess he planned to be the Troy of a certain other Gabriella.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂

﹏﹏﹏

All the musical members entered the bomb shelter, looking around in awe. The room had grey walls and some sceneries and props from previous plays or musicals that seemed to be forgotten there.

In the middle of the room was a variety of chairs and tables that were placed in a circle, each one had the name of a different character.

"Are you okay, Autumn? You look a little anxious." Gina says, looking at her friend in concern.

"I don't know, G. It's my first big role. What if I ruin everything at this read-through and Miss Jenn decides I shouldn't play Gabriella after all?" Autumn asked, downcasting her gaze.

"Relax, girl. I know we've only met a few days ago, but If you have half the talent to act as you have to sing, you'll do perfectly." Gina reassures Autumn, leading her to her destined chair.

Autumn smiles softly at her friend, mumbling a barely audible 'thank you' before sitting in the seat that said Gabriella Montez.

Miss Jenn, who stays a few meters behind the lead girl, finally speaks. "Could everyone take your assigned seats please?" The woman asks as everyone starts to sit around.

Autumn turns her head to see Carlos and Miss Jenn speaking amongst themselves. The Campbell spots Ricky and Big Red making their way to the Troy Bolton's seat, the one beside her.

"Yoohoo. Ginger boy. Can you read?" Miss Jenn asks Red, catching everyone's attention.

"Uh, not really." Big Red states and Autumn has to bite her lip to avoid chuckling.

"Well, you're reading now. Just the stage directions. Thank you." Miss Jenn specifies before starting to make her way to her own seat.

"Do you know what that means?" Red asks a janitor who just shrugs. Autumn watched as her friend made his way to Natalie Bagley's assigned seat – the boy was clearly uncomfortable with the whole situation.

After asking everyone to silence their phones, Miss Jenn starts her speech. "I realize that you all walked in here as strangers." The woman said.

"Actually, EJ's my cousin," Ashlyn remarks, earning a look from the drama teacher.

"But after today, you're a family. One tribe committed to lifting this classic film to new heights." As Miss Jenn says this, a 'click' is heard and everyone looks at Carlos, who had just taken a selfie.

He quickly placed his cellphone down and Miss Jenn looked back at the rest of the cast. "Please take your neighbors' hands." The woman requested as she grabbed Carlos's hands and asked for Big Red to do the same.

Autumn quickly took Gina's hand in hers, since Taylor McKessie's seat was to her left, and gave it a gentle squeeze. Then, the girl looked at Ricky, who sat on her other side.

"Is it okay with you? I know you're kinda mad at me because me getting the lead role along with you was definitely not in your plans but-" Autumn whispered to Ricky, being interrupted by the feeling of his hand grabbing hers.

"It's okay, Autumn. I was mad at first, but then Big Red made me realize I had no reason to be. You're talented and this is the perfect role for you. I'm sorry." Ricky says, smiling softly at the girl. She nodded, glad that Ricky supported her.

Everyone was already hand in hand, minus Ricky, EJ, and Red. 'Hands', Miss Jenn warned them once more. Autumn had to stifle a laugh as EJ and Ricky grabbed each other's hand, a look of absolute disgust on both of their faces. Then EJ grabbed Red's hand, finalizing the circle.

"Feel each other's energy. Let the silence speak volumes. In a world full of 'no', this is a space full of 'yes'." Miss Jenn spoke.

Then, she suddenly started singing 'We're All In This Together'. Once the director's eyes fluttered close, EJ ripped his hand away from Ricky's grasp, making Autumn quietly chuckle.

Miss Jenn reaches a high note and prolongs it for a few seconds too long, earning a strange look from probably all the students.

Ashlyn starts to clap, but quickly stops and slightly blushes in embarrassment when she notices no one else is.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂

Bɪɢ Rᴇᴅ, Jᴜɴɪᴏʀ

Did I just join a cult?

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂

And then the read-through started.