Chapter 2

​"Hey callie can I see you in my office really quick?" Callie was happy for the first time in years. After settling the kids in their schools, removing Derrick's parental rights, and finding this job she was well on her way to having the kind of life she dreamed of. Happy kids, financially stable, and fulfilling her purpose as a social worker. Walking in to Kelly's office she plopped in  the chair in front of the desk asking what was up. "So I have a case and I'm pretty sure only you can help." Kelly said. "ok what's the situation?" Callie asked. " well there's a 5 year old girl who was left alone for days. Her father is an alcoholic who beat both the mother and child. And the mother is not but a notch above him. A drug addict and prostitute. Neighbors reported seeing the child going through their trash looking for food, so one brought her into her house fed her and called us." Callie still had the ability to be shocked as to what people could and would do to their children. While she did not exactly work for child services, she worked for a parent company who took over the therapy sessions and schooled adoptive and foster families how to help children with trauma. "well, that is horrible, but I'm confused as to why you think this is an assignment just for me." Callie said.

​"well for one you are the toughest among my aides right now, you're not afraid to back down from a fight with the parents. But there is a slight twist to this case I only just found out. The child's father may not even be her biological. CPS ran her bloodwork to make sure she had not taken any of the drugs at the home because she was worried the child may have and a match to her DNA came back and it is not the man listed on her birth certificate. It's actually a man I don't exactly know but know of him and his organization." Kelly says with a kind of weird look on her face. "um organization?" I say trying to figure out what the hell she's trying to get me mixed up in. "he is part of the Black Roses a local motorcycle gang. Well maybe gang is a strong word. More like organization. They have helped a lot with the kids. They put on fundraisers and even help with settling events up. But they are a bit scary and rough around the edges." Kelly tells me.

​"so, am I meeting with the young girl and her bio dad or what? I am still confused as to how we are even handling this. Usually CPS steps in." I am starting to get annoyed with her because she will not just spit it out. "well, the child is names violet and CPS is bringing her shortly. Before we inform the bio dad, I want you to assess her. See if she is even in the mental state to talk to him. If she, has it in her to understand that he, is her real father. Also try to find out the extent of her trauma. Her case worker says she has not said a word yet. The foster family is overcrowded in the home. I do not think she will get the help she needs there. We need a temp placement and fast. I'm working on that can you just give me your opinion and I'll need you to break the news to father provided he doesn't know she even existed.

​10 minutes later the prettiest little girl with nice dark skin and hazel eyes looks at me with wide scared eyes. She also looks dishelved. Her hair is matted. There are bruises on her skin and a cut lip. Immediately I feel rage. How can anyone do this to a child. Innocent souls who need love and attention to thrive. Bending down to the child's level I say "hello beautiful violet. My name is calla lily but my friends call me callie will you call me that?" she just kind of nods and looks down at her feet. Turing to the social worker I ask can she leave me alone with her for a while so I can see if she will warm up to me. Nodding she walked out. "so, can we sit here on the floor together? I just want to talk to you." I sit on the floor even though my heels and pencil skirt scream at me not too. She sits very close to me. Which is a good sign but confusing as I was told she was skittish.

​"violet do you understand what is going on? Like why you're not with your parents anymore and why you are staying with another family right now?" I ask. In the sweet little voice that kids have she responds with "yes, my mommy was bad. And the man used to hit me. But I don't like the new family that dad watched me take a bath." She says with unshed tears in her eyes. Immediately I am on guard and I let her know under no circumstances will she be going back to that house. But I wanted clarification on the "that man" comment. "who is that man violet your dad?" she shakes her head. "that man is not my daddy. My mom said my real daddy hates me and doesn't want me so I have to call that man daddy, or he will beat us." She says angrily. Well, it is official I am going to be doing a lot of cursing once I am away from this kid. I tell her that that is not true. That nobody could possibly hate her because she is too sweet, and that is anybody ever mistreated her it is because they were rotten to the core and jealous that her heart was so beautiful. She proceeds to take my hand and lays her head on my shoulder and falls asleep. I can tell that this child has not ever known peace or a good night's sleep. Picking her up and putting her on my couch I go in search of Kelly and ask the social worker to sit in my office in case she wakes up.

​"Kelly please tell me you have a good family for this kid because she is NOT going back to the house she came from and we need to investigate any child who is or has been through that home. Sounds like the father could be a pedophile." I say. She jerks up right and I fill her in on what violet said to me. Unfortunately, Kelly also tells me there are no family's only a group homes right now. The downside of my job is there never enough loving warm homes for these kids to go to. "I'm about to say something you will probably hate but I'm not letting that kids go to no group home. There is just too much she has been through I am taking her home. Get the paperwork ready I'm certified, and I know I must know be off the case as leading investigator, but I still want to make sure that kid isn't screwed over by the bio dad." She smiles and says "yeah you were the good home I was speaking about. I knew you would take her. Paperwork is filled out you can take her now. Take tomorrow off with pay. Get her settled then I'll call when we need to reach out to bio dad."

​Walking back into my office I see that tiny little body stir. "hey pumpkin do you think it would be alright if you came and stayed at my house for a while. Just until we can see your real dad?" I'm hoping she will not cry or be scared but at this point I'm the kid's safest bet. She jumps up and says I never stayed with a nice lady before and my heart breaks. Gathering her up first stop is Wal-Mart. She needs clothes shoes some products to get her hair clean and maybe even a toy or two. "so violet what kind of toys do you like. You can pick a couple of things and then when you do leave you'll have a suitcase full to bring to your forever home" she looks more stressed than a kid in a toy aisle should be. "I've never had a toy Callie. What do I pick?" With a sad heart I make sure that child has more than she needs as we leave the store.

​"so I have 3 kids. Two girls Imani who is 15, iyannah who is 12, and Isaiah who is 9. I figure you should stay with Iyannah in her room she loves looking after smaller children. She very sweet, smart and caring she will make sure if you get scared at night to come get me and we will make it better." Looking up she asks "wont she be mad she has to share her room with me. The other kids at the home said I made too many people in one room and they were mad." I assure her that will not be the case. I have already texted all three to prepare them and even told them a small amount of what's happened to violet. They were all jumping at the bit to play big sibling to a child who needs it.