Chapter Two

This one's a bit shorter but the next section will be super long

Something didn't feel right when you killed your first demon. It was fairly strong, but still didn't even stand a chance against you. Although it was a good thing, one less demon to be killing or injuring humans, you couldn't shake the pit in your stomach.
Your visions usually showed you demons.

The most common vision was a view of a rabid lowlife demon. Occasionally you'd see a larger demon, or something unrelated to demons at all. They were really fascinating, now that they worked properly.
You walked into the mansion. You had no work, but Muichiro had been sent on a mission. Kioti and Rengoku were gone as well.

It was the headquarters of the demonslayer core. Hundreds of Crows and a few other birds flew in and out, receiving orders for their owners. You saw Muichiro's crow fly in, and you smiled. He must be finished. Strangely, the crow didn't report to you as it had done in the past. You shrugged it off.
You were reading a book in your room when someone knocked on the door.

"Who's there?" You called out.

"Shinobu. I must speak to you, young Y/n." Shinobu responded.

"Sure come in!" You said.

Shinobu Kocho, the insect hashira walked into the room and sat in front of you, and you put your book down. Her expression made you nervous.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news. While on his excursion... your master Muichiro... well he's dead," she said gravely.

It took a moment for her words to sink in. "What!? That's not possible. He is so powerful. Tell me this is a joke!!!" You felt your world crumbling, dread gripping your heart in it's iron claws.

"I'm very sorry, truly. He was such a good friend," Shinobu sighed. Tears dripped from your eyes and your breathing hitched. She got up slowly and left the room, hesitating by the door and giving you an empathetic look.

Muichiro had been so good to you. He trained you to become what you were. A few months ago you were a little girl who would play all day. Now you were one of the most powerful demon slayers in the whole core. And he was gone.

You cried for the rest of that day. You were completely alone. Kioti and Rengoku were on a mission, who knows? Maybe they will be reported dead too. A wave of loneliness and grief swept you away, and a vision started.

You... felt happy. Overbearing joy, and someone was running their hands through your hair, holding you and murmuring comforts to you. Why were they comforting you? The vision felt so positive. What could have gone wrong in that place?

When you woke up from the vision, you desperately wanted to go back. You numbly crawled into your bed and hid under the covers. Maybe after sleeping someone would tell you it was a joke. Maybe you'd dream you were back in that person's arms, happy.

~~~

Countless miles away, a demon cried as he sat in the corner of a bloody room, the bodies of his human parents strewn across the floor. He wanted nothing more than to have someone there for him.
For a moment, he could almost imagine the feeling of someone holding him, cupping his face in their hand. He felt a malapropos dot of warmth in his heart, but it faded after just a few seconds.

~~~Present day (ten years later)

"Y/n and Kioti L/n, you are to head West to Mount Natagumo. Too many demon slayers have died, and we need your expertise, Y/n. Kioti is to assist you and any injured people you find."

The crow's rough voice echoed through the field. Unease crept at your stomach. Mt. Natagumo was the place where your uncle had been murdered.

Then again, he wasn't very strong, and you were the Mist Hashira of the demon slayer core, with the finest medic they had ever seen by your side. You'd be just fine.
Kioti had learned that although he was very proficient in his sword skills, he enjoyed medicines more. Not to mention the fact that he picked up medical information ridiculously quickly and was soon one of the finest doctors you knew. He loved his work. He saved more lives each day than you did, anyways.

Over the years you also had gained full control over your visions. You could summon them on command, but sometimes they would still come on their own. Either way, they were much more of a benefit to you than a hindrance.

The crow flew off into the distance as you set foot west. "We can visit Mom and Dad briefly on the way there," Kioti commented.
You smiled, happy at the thought of seeing them again. It had been a very long time.
"Yeah, I'd like that," you said. After about a half day of walking you arrived at the town where Muichiro had picked you up. You cringed. Muichiro's death still haunted you, still stung your heart with grief.

From there, it didn't take long to get to your early childhood home. You knocked on the door, and your mom answered.

It took her a minute to recognize you. It'd been ten years, and you were dressed way differently than she had ever known.

"Oh my Lord! Kioti! Y/n!" She tackled you both in a hug, and fell to her knees, clinging onto you. "Honey get out here!" She wailed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Your father hobbled to the door and nearly dropped his crutch when he saw you. He let out a cry of joy and you caught him as he hopped over to you, abandoning the crutch.

"We thought you'd forgotten us, or gotten eaten!" Your mother wailed.

"We would never do either of those things!" Kioti laughed, running his hands through her hair.

"Besides, we promised not to," you chuckled.

"C-come inside, have a seat. I have some fresh stew, have some as well!" Your mother stuttered as she dried her tears. You helped your dad to his crutch and you all took a seat at the table.

Your favorite hot stew was waiting in bowls, and your mom scooped two more.
"I'm so glad you two are alright. And I'm glad you came to visit," your dad smiled.

"Yeah. We're on our way to Mount Natagumo and are passing by," you explained.

Your mother frowned.
"I don't want you going to that wretched place. You should tell them to send someone else!" She said disapprovingly.

"It's okay, mom. Kioti is such a fine doctor, and I'm one of the very strongest warriors they have. I'm the Mist Hashira, now," you countered.

"R-really? That's incredible..." your mom said in awe. You sipped your stew.

"Yes. And it turns out Y/n does have really amazing powers. She can control them now, it's so awesome," Kioti commented between bites.

Your father smiled warmly. "That's good to hear. You'll do great things with your abilities, I'm sure of it."

"Thanks!" You grinned.

You continued to talk and catch up about the last ten years of your life. Your parents looked so proud of you and Kioti, and their smiles were unstoppable. It was really nice to see them, but you knew the clock would never stop ticking.

"It's been so nice to see you guys but we should really get going," you said sadly.
"Oh! That's alright. Be so safe, and visit again on your way back," your mother said. She filled your packs with fresh rations and kissed your foreheads.

"Bye! See you next time!" Kioti called as you walked down the path West towards Natagumo mountain.