Chapter Three

The mountain had looked imposing from the outside, but inside was even more scary. Fog clung to the tall, dark trees and spiderwebs strung around everywhere. You couldn't feel any good emotions or sensations in the air.

Kioti clung to you like a frightened child, and totally acted like one. You couldn't help yourself from thinking how cute it was, despite him being larger and older than you. Shouldn't you be the one hiding behind your big brother? You laughed inside.

Then suddenly out of nowhere silver strings flashed through the air, swinging at Kioti. Blood sprayed the leaves and he let out a pained scream, collapsing. Your sword was out in an instant, a black and red hue to it.

"Kioti!" You screamed. You fell by his side. Using the second mist breathing form, Right Layered Mist, you slashed at the air eight times, each slash emitting a cloud of mist to conceal you and your brother.

Kioti's breathing was ragged. His right leg was nearly cut off at the calf. His stomach was cut open at the side, nearly in half. You could see his organs, cut and pulsing through the flowing blood. His face was also cut open, and you could see his teeth shining in the moonlight. You felt sick, and scared.

"Kioti! Oh my- what do I do!?" You stuttered, your hands shaking above him. The wounds were hopelessly deep. It was a miracle he was even still alive. He fell unconscious.

Suddenly the atmosphere changed and you were up on your feet in seconds. A second round of the strange silver threads flew towards your brother, aiming to finish him off for good.

You leapt in front of him, swinging your sword at the strings. You cut most of them, but several gave you cuts on the sides of your body. You grimaced.

"Show yourself!" You yelled. You cried out in pain, your knees buckling. Your wounds were more serious than you'd thought. You gritted your teeth to stop the world from spinning.

"Why did you jump in front of that one?"
That voice... it sounded familiar to you somehow. It sent shivers up your spine, and goosebumps broke out along your arms. The owner was clearly surprised, awe and menace clear in their voice.

"I said show yourself!" You repeated.
A net of strings swung through the air, clearing away the fog. You could see through your mist, but the fog had thickened as well.

There was a demon there, standing several feet above the ground on a single thread. He had pale white skin with red dot patterns in random places. His impossibly light pink hair hooked around his face from the back, covering up one eye. His outfit matched his skin, and he had mint green eyelashes. If he had been human, you would have found him very handsome.

"Now you, answer my question," the demon said.

You watched the demon closely as you spoke. "He's my brother... I couldn't just let him die."

Something flashed in the demon's uncovered eye. Some emotion? Suddenly a vision burst into your mind.

There was a human boy who looked very similar to the demon in front of you. His hair was dark navy, his skin still pale. He had very beautiful, but sad eyes. He tried to walk forward, but fell on his face.

Then you saw that human next to a crying woman, who you guessed to be his mother. She wished he could walk and run like the others.

Then there was the boy, transforming into a demon. He was so happy, and ran around. The scene changed to him going berserk and killing his parents, after his father had attempted to kill him.

The next scene struck a chord in you. He was crying in the corner of the bloodied room, and suddenly he smiled for a few seconds. Something about it felt... familiar. Like you'd seen that before.