Chapter 9

*A/n: this is only the first part of chapter 9. I thought I'd post early cause I haven't in so long. Sorry, life has been busy!!

"I think I might love you, Y/n."

Rui stared adoringly into your eyes, and you looked right back into his. You broke your gaze for only a few seconds to find his hand and interlace your fingers with his.

"I-I love you too," you replied. Rui leaned over and kissed you again. 

"Rui let's get out of here," you suggested, a sudden thought popping into your head. "Let's leave the mountain for a few days. I can show you some human things, and we can just spend time together."

Rui smirked. "Almost sounds like a honeymoon," he said roguishly.

"W-what! N-no!" You cried, blushing furiously. Of course you'd fantasized about marrying Rui and going on a romantic honeymoon, but you didn't want to think about that yet. Naturally at the worst moment possible, a forced vision popped into your mind and you promptly passed out.

It was a blur, really a blur. You could only make out some colors, and the faces of a few people you never thought you'd never see again. It ended with a splash of blood.

You blinked awake. The speed and length of the vision told you that it was in the near future. The last scene scared you. Whose blood was that!? Why did you see… them?

Rui was holding you up and looking down at you with a concerned expression. "What happened?"

"I must be too happy and fainted," you lied sheepishly.

***

 "Giyuu?"

Shinobu tapped Giyuu on the shoulder, and he jolted up from his daze. "Mm?" 

"What are you thinking about?" Shinobu asked. She walked around him and took a seat on the dirt next to him, purple eyes peering into his soul.

"Just the late mist Hashira, Y/n," Giyuu mumbled.

Shinobu cocked her head to one side. "Her death was a long time ago, Giyuu. I understand, it is hard to mourn the death of a friend.. but at this point we should put it behind us."

Giyuu nodded. "Good point," he said. Yet he knew very well he wouldn't stop thinking about your death. He felt as though it was his fault, if only he had killed that demon when he saw it in the forest.

Shinobu abruptly got up and reached a hand out to Giyuu, which he took for aid getting up. "Giyuu, let's go on a moonlight walk. It would do us both good to clear our minds."

Giyuu nodded, and with that they set away from the mansion towards the nearest town. Their walk was indeed peaceful, only occasionally was it interrupted by idle chat or a comment of something pretty they saw.

Eventually they found themselves meandering down an empty street in a small village on the outskirts of common civilization. Shinobu was about to say something when both Hashira suddenly stiffened.

"I sense… demon."