Chapter 6

~~~two days later

You hadn't seen much of Rui the last two days. It almost seemed like he had been avoiding you, but you didn't know why. Still, your sisters kept you good company.

There was only an hour left until dawn, so everyone was going to their rooms. You were about to get ready for bed when Rui showed up in your doorway. "Come with me, we're going on a walk."

You followed him outside. You didn't really know where he was taking you so you just walked next to him along the path.

Rui didn't say anything the whole time. You got to a river with large stones going across it. They looked pretty slippery. He hopped up onto the first stone, and reached his hand down to you, gaze still ahead.

When you took it, he turned around towards you. There was a glint in his eye when he twisted his hand and interlaced his fingers with yours. Immediately you felt your face getting red.

Rui was holding your hand, a real handhold. Not the grab you usually did when leading each other places...

You hopped onto the rock next to him, and he pulled you three more rocks into the river and stopped. Then he turned towards the current and watched as the wild rapids rushed towards you, licking at the rock you were standing on.

After a while Rui turned to you. He tipped your chin up and looked into your eyes. This was again something he'd done a few times before, but you blushed even harder. His misty pine smell enveloped you, and you couldn't take your eyes off him.

He seemed to be searching for something in your soul. You stood there, on the same rock, the river all around you, your eyes locked into each other's. He looked so deep in thought. Then something settled in his gaze.

"Let's go," he said. He didn't let go of your hand until you were within viewing distance of the house. You were sad when he did.

That morning, you were woken by one of your sisters. She sat next to you on the bed and you sat up.

"Do you know if anyone stole something from Rui?" She asked you.

"No..." you said. Was Rui looking for something?

The sister sighed. "He's been acting weirdly lately and I heard him muttering about how 'he can't get it back, it's gone,' and that 'she stole it, didn't she?'"

"Yeah he has been weird lately... I hope he finds what he's looking for," you said. You remembered what happened that night and blushed. Did it possibly have anything to do with that? No, that was irrelevant.

Rui ignored you for the next four days. You were a bit hurt and disappointed. After him traveling away from the mountain to find you and holding your hand... you had hoped to see him more often. You felt a little better when everyone else said they hadn't seen him either.

Bored, and sad, you walked alone down to the pond Rui had shown you before. It was still just as beautiful, new flowers in bloom. You hugged yourself when a cold wind blew in.

"I thought I might find you here." Rui approached you from the other side of the pond. Something was off about him. He looked angry, and confused. A little bit desperate.

"Where have you been?" You said. You were a bit irritated.

He completely ignored your question. "I think you stole something from me, Y/n," he said, walking closer to you.

"I haven't touched anything of yours. Why would I?" You sighed.

"I don't think it was intentional."

Frustration built up in your chest. "That doesn't even make sense. Look, I'm gonna go back to the house. Bye." You turned around to leave but you only made it a few steps away.