Twilight at the Dawn Winery

Albedo knocked on the door of the Dawn Winery, Sucrose standing slightly behind him. Both were very tired from walking so far. 

In the last stretch of their journey, the sky had started to darken, bringing the stars out. Albedo had wanted to stop and sketch a bit, but Sucrose had urged him not to, saying they needed to reach the Dawn Winery, otherwise their host would worry about the two.

"Hello, Mr. Albedo." Diluc opened the door, his signature red hair up in a low ponytail. "You're a bit late, but you need not worry."

"Thank you, Master Diluc." Albedo said warmly. They stepped inside, a housemaid coming to take their bags.

"I'll bring these to your prepared rooms." she said, picking up their bags with a heft. "My name is Adeline, I'm the head housemaid. If you need anything while you're staying here, you can come to me." 

"T-thank you," Sucrose said appreciatively. 

"Dinner is right this way." Diluc said, showing them towards the kitchen. "I've already eaten, so you two may have your privacy."

Sucrose flushed, thinking about Albedo and her alone. No, no, no, you can't be thinking that way, Sucrose thought to herself. Mr. Albedo is your mentor, and you're just his assistant coming along for the journey.

Albedo and Sucrose ate dinner, which was a Pile 'Em Up, one for both of them. They ate in comfortable silence, both equally exhausted from their long trip.

"I'm going to go find Master Diluc to tell him about our carriage driver, and make the appropriate accommodations," Albedo said, getting up. Sucrose felt a little lonely after he left, but she knew it was silly of her to feel that way. It was just, she felt comforted in Albedo's presence.

After Albedo came back, Adeline arrived to show them to their rooms.

"They're just up this staircase, down this hallway. These are our best rooms, for very special guests." Adeline smiled, leading them down a hallway. Sucrose noticed a strange owl statue on a pedestal. 

"Oh, they- the rooms are right next to each other?" Sucrose stuttered in surprise. The two rooms were indeed right next to each other. 

Sucrose would be sleeping in a room right next to Albedo's, where he would bathe, taking off his clothes, washing his hair, changing into his nightclothes, lying down on the bed...

She uttered a small squeak, her face flaming red. Sucrose was glad it was a little darker up here, so Adeline and Albedo couldn't see her cheeks.

Albedo looked curiously at Sucrose, turning his head sideways. Embarrassed, Sucrose twisted her hands together.

"I'll let you two get settled in!" Adeline clapped her hands together excitedly. "I'll most likely be down in the library if you need me. You can also ask one of the other maids where I am." 

With that, she left, leaving Albedo and Sucrose alone. Sucrose found she couldn't look at Albedo.

"I-I'll see you." Albedo said, a small blush crossing his nose. 

"Good night, Mr. Albedo!" Sucrose called, hoping desperately that her voice wasn't wavering. 

Sucrose ducked into her room, noting how clean it was. A large bed covered with a canopy was at the head of the room, with a window letting the last rays of the sun filter in. Sucrose nearly bumped into the large mahogany dresser, which she set her bag down on.

Sitting down on the edge of the neatly made bed, Sucrose took some time to think for herself. Archons, it really was lonely without Albedo with her. 

Sighing, Sucrose changed into her nightclothes, a sleeveless, white nightgown that had grown a bit small for her. It reached her mid-thigh, but it was comfortable, so Sucrose hoped nobody would mind. 

Maybe she should go ask Albedo if he would want to go down to the Dawn Winery's library with her to look at some of the texts. Sucrose had heard that Diluc had a very extensive home library, which he perused often.

Chances were, Albedo had probably already read most of them. 

"Sucrose?" Albedo knocked on her door, startling Sucrose out of her thoughts. 

"You can come in, Mr. Albedo," Sucrose called, scooting backwards on the bed so she was sitting on the edge. 

Albedo opened the door, his head looking behind him. Sucrose could hear Adeline saying 'goodnight' behind him, so she assumed that he had been talking to her. The thought made Sucrose's stomach clench unpleasantly.

"Sucrose, I was looking for my-" Albedo turned around, but stopped talking for a brief moment when he saw Sucrose sitting on the edge of the bed. His blue eyes, so deep Sucrose thought she could get lost in them, flicked up and down her body.

"Uh, ahem." Albedo looked away, pink rising to the tips of his cheekbones. "I was, well, looking for my sketchbook." 

"Oh!" Sucrose exclaimed in surprise, standing up. The light brush of her nightgown raised small goosebumps on her thighs. She approached the dresser, where she had put her bag. 

Rummaging through the bag, Sucrose was hyper-aware of Albedo's eyes on her. She turned around, hand extended with his sketchbook in it.

Albedo had moved closer to the dresser, and turning around put him right in front of Sucrose, filling her field of vision. His eyes scanned her once more, lingering on her exposed legs and bare shoulders.

"Thanks." Albedo said, not moving from his position. Sucrose felt like she couldn't breathe, for how close he was. She sort of liked the feeling, though. A horde of butterflies swooped low in her stomach, making her move forward slightly.

"Um, aren't you cold in, uh, that?" Albedo asked, rubbing the back of his head a little. Blushing, Sucrose shook her head. She felt that if she tried to speak, the moment would be broken, like a shimmering bubble popped by careless hands. 

"Mr. Albedo-" Sucrose began, reaching a hand up. 

"Just call me Albedo. We are, after all, the same age, aren't we Sucrose?" his hand reached up and lightly touched her hair. 

Albedo's face was really close, really close. He moved forward another inch, another inch, leaning forward and putting his hands on either side of the dresser, trapping Sucrose between them.

Sucrose had to lean backwards to look at him now, her breath coming in short pants. Albedo's hand moved up and cupped her face, bare fingers soft against her cheekbones. He brushed a thumb against her mouth, momentarily stopping Sucrose's heart.

Slowly, ever so slowly, they moved together, culminating-

"I've brought the towels like you asked, Mr. Albedo!" a voice called. Sucrose's head whipped to the side, seeing Adeline come in through the door. 

Albedo moved backwards quickly, turning to greet Adeline. She put the towels down on the dresser and smiled at Albedo.

"If you need anything, come find me!" she reiterated, leaving the pair in awkward silence. Just like Sucrose had feared, the moment was broken. 

"I-I'll leave you now," Albedo said, backing towards the door. 

Sucrose wanted to tell him to wait, anything, but found she couldn't summon the courage for what might happen if she did. He left, the door swinging shut behind him.

Climbing into bed, Sucrose found herself plagued by thoughts of Albedo touching her, kissing her, even just speaking to her. Steady footfalls pounded on the other side of her room, where Albedo was staying. It sounded like he was pacing.

Sucrose didn't fall asleep for a long while after that.