𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐

"You got the plan?" Kaz declared. Eyes blazing, posture tall, "I got it." He arched a brow but turned away and walked ahead. He was equipped, studious, and cunning. I would be lying if I said he wasn't a sight for sore eyes. But then again, it was all for show, and did he play the role well.

   I picked up my pace and caught up with him. I wanted to make conversation— get to know him. How can there be an alliance if you don't know your boss? I only knew basic minimum: He was a dreg and the most respected one, he was crippled, and he doesn't like to be touched.

      "You know what I have noticed about you?" I started. I had a feeling in my gut that he wouldn't answer and ignore me (better yet, pretend I don't exist), but he gave a low hum and allowed me to continue. "You grew up too fast."

         He turned his head so quickly, I thought he snapped his neck. "What do you mean?"

        "You are shielded and wise. You don't let anyone in too easily and you fight to make things right— make others pay. You have lost too much and seen so little. Things were taken away from you too quickly and you'll do anything to have it back, even if it's in blood."

        He looked shocked. I looked back at the rest of the crew and they weren't listening. Well, Jesper wasn't listening. Inej stayed quiet as always but I knew she was hearing our conversation. I didn't mind— Kaz trusted her which meant I could trust her as well.

        "How can you determine that?" He requests.

        "I could tell from the first time I saw you, it's the handsome looks that throw it off." I sort of blushed at what I said but hid it with a giggle and a smile. He looked a bit stunned and was having a hard time accepting the compliment.

         I laugh, "I didn't mean to befuddle you like that but you are easy on the eyes."

        He gives a glimmering look, "How can you tell? How can you tell just from looking at me?"

She sighs, "It's your eyes. They are hard but soft. Steadied a wall over yourself so your true self doesn't show. You take each step slow, every breath light if it meant for you not to shut down."

They kept on the trail at a high pace but everything in Kaz's mind seem to slow. He wasn't sure of this feeling in him— Trust or Fear. A life he had structured for himself. Where he had built heavy walls and sealed them with concrete. But he felt exposed like he was stripped of his clothing.

Everything she had stated was far from lies. It was odd because as the words fell from her lips, he felt safe. She read through the lines and saw him.

Or did she? She could be doing this to ruin things, to ruin you. Was she trying to get him to break? Let her see the hurt and suffering he went through? She could be waiting for a glint of approval or correctness just for her to tear him apart. Just like everyone else did.

He spared her a look then hurried, far away from her. He would not take the chance to get exposed, not on his account. She watched him move away from her and formed a frown. She felt hurt but understood his reason— she would have done the same. She walked alone for a while until Inej came in tow with her steps.

"Don't take it as a sign of defeat. You just hit a nerve." She said to her. "What kind of nerve would that be?"

Inej shrugs, " From what I heard, you touched an area where he knows that no one could get to."