31:

Chapter 31:

"Jungkook! Please, tell me what's happening, what's..." You trailed off, looking up when you saw six different people emerge from the shadows and the wooded area behind you. Your heart jumped into your throat as Jungkook continued to thrash and sob in your lap. Your eyes were focused on the leader of the group who stepped up in front of you. He was blowing into a whistle of some kind, but you couldn't hear any sound come out of it. He stopped blowing and smirked as Jungkook slowly stopped seizing, falling limply in your arms, his head lolling around and his eyes shut. Your eyes widened when you saw blood trickling out of his ears.

"Well, this is certainly a surprise." The leader said, an amused smile on his face. "I wasn't expecting you to fall into my lap like this." He commented, drawing your attention back to him. You could only stare in shock and confusion. His familiar features and handsome face lit up with excitement as he looked over you and Jungkook, who was curled up in your lap.

"C-Caden?" You gaped as Caden stepped into the light, grinning down at you.

"Hello, Y/N." He said, twirling the long thin whistle in his fingers. Jungkook groaned, his eyebrows scrunching together, and you pulled him fully on your lap, brushing your fingers through his hair, absolutely horrified by the blood trickling out of his ears. You could barely focus when he was in such pain.

"W-what did you do to him?" You whispered, using your sleeve to wipe away some of the blood. He was still twitching and his face had gone even paler than normal, beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

"This is a high frequency whistle." Caden said, twirling the small cylinder of steel in his fingers deftly. "It makes an excruciating sound at the ultrasonic range. Kind of like a dog whistle, but it only works on vampires. And it's way more effective." He nodded cruelly at Jungkook, who winced, gritting his teeth. You rubbed his ears, trying to massage them a bit. You weren't sure if it would help, but Jungkook's face relaxed a bit, which you took as good sign.

"What are you doing here?" You croaked, looking back up at him. You looked around at the other five people all surrounding you, closing a circle around you and your vampire passed out in your lap. They all had glinting eyes, and hungry looks on their faces as they stared at Jungkook. You noticed several of them had the same scary looking weapon either slung over their shoulder, or pointed directly at Jungkook. The weapon looked like a gun, but there was a contraption at the head that you recognized as part of a crossbow. Loaded into crossbow contraption at the top, was a sharp, scary looking stake. Your heart dropped in your chest as you understood who they were before Caden even had to say anything.

"We're vampire hunters, of course." Caden said, spreading his arms with a grin. The others snickered and one of them kicked at Jungkook's limp legs. You bristled and whipped your head at him, smacking his leg away.

"Don't you fucking touch him." You wrapped your arms around Jungkook protectively and glared at the hunter as he tilted his head back and laughed.

"I think we got a sympathizer here, Caden." The man said, grinning wickedly at you. Caden let out a humorless chuckle, tilting his head cruelly. His lip curled.

"Honestly, that's not surprising. She's been parading around with vampires for months." He said, giving you a disgusted look. His eyes dipped down over your entire body, lingering on where your hands were wrapped around the unconscious vampire. His lip curled and his nose wrinkled and if you weren't terrified, you might have felt ashamed from the way he was looking at you. You swallowed, trying to regain a bit of composure as you glared up at him.

"You've been a hunter this whole time? Ever since I've known you?" You asked, your voice hoarse and not as firm as you hoped it would be. Caden grinned and nodded, spreading his arms out.