╰┈➤ chapter 4

╰┈➤ Reyn

Reyn glanced down again at the weapons stowed in his clothes and bag, then diligently checked whether he had hidden everything in his office properly.

While he was away those filthy rats wouldn't hesitate to run their grimey fingers all over the important documents in his office.

After much musing the night before, he had concluded that the only reason the Blue Moon pack would be traveling to the Oasis, was to either strengthen or interact with their elementals.

Reyn had a feeling however, that there was more to it than that. He assumed that the Northern packs had formed something of an alliance, and if they were to bring a group of wolves into the mountain range then...it could only be assumed that they were planning to threaten Red Star in some way.

Perhaps they would rush in and force themselves onto pack lands. Or rather, slowly gather forces once south of the Oasis, or even, worst case really, declare (more like continue) all out war. While all of these possibilities seemed terribly chaotic, Reyn was in favor of most of them.

He had almost laughed at himself in amusement. Here he was, trying to figure out a way to make his "enemies" win.

Stepping outside, he quickly summoned the assigned warriors that would accompany him.

Most meatheads, but one, a beta he surprisingly seemed to favor slightly. Only in the smallest bit.

From...certain past experiences his Beta Kai had earned a valuable place in his heart. Though his gestures were subtle, during the rougher...part of Reyn's childhood— Kai had always shown kindness to him.

It was his kind actions that paid off in the end, after all— he ended up as beta. When he was around, it wasn't as suffocating.

"Alright move out!" Reyn barked at the warriors, as they returned with howls and growls.

They bounded across the hills surrounding the packhouse, and sped off towards the unknown.

...

By mid-day, they had arrived at a flat clearing atop the white mountain.

The wolves had effectively set up camp, and were scouting out the area for threats as well as hunting food. Reyn had ventured off by himself. Drawn by the scent of fresh water he found himself at a little river.

The flowing water was ice cold to touch but soft and oddly calming. Reyn dipped his fingers in the current and closed his eyes.

The air smelled of pine and the water danced around his palms.

He felt peaceful.

The ripples in the water's current and gentle breeze echoed in his mind, as slowly from his exhaustion-- his eyes closed, and he fell asleep on the snowy edge.

...

A loud howl of wind jolts Reyn awake.

Gasping he jumps up from the previously undisturbed snow, becoming oriented with his surroundings.

Shit, it's already dusk

He glances at the sky and curses himself for his careless mistake. Not only was the sky dimmer, but the temperature had dropped significantly, and there was something, some feeling telling him something bad was about to happen.

He sprinted back towards the camp and thankfully found his wolves still working, bringing in firewood and small creatures to cook. He sighs, then goes into his tent, taking off some of the hunting gear he didn't even use.

"Alpha! What did you bring back from your hunt?" Kai asks, opening the tent's flap.

"..."

"You were gone for so long, surely it wasn't some elk-- or bear?!"

Reyn coughs awkwardly and mumbles, "Sadly not much Beta," then turned around to face him.

The beta, rosy-cheeked from the cold had his hair all over his face, but his joyful demeanor wasn't unseen. The boy always was more of a happy-goer, but more so when he could spend time with Reyn.

"Oh ho~ well I caught myself five rabbits! Won't that taste so good? Golden, juicy, meat hehe," he gives a toothy grin.

"If you say so Kai..." he presses his fingers to his temples and sighs again.

"What's wrong?" he asks, taking a seat next to the alpha.

"You know the reason I brought us here in the first place..."

"Yes?.. To counter Blue Moon?"

"I--," he pauses, contemplating his thoughts for a second, "you know I never wanted the war. Suppose there's-- how do I--"

He cuts off Reyn, "There's more to this isn't there?"

"Ah, yeah... This mountain it's...calling me. In a way that's so uncontrollable I'm able to feel it through every cell in my body. Like my own element is compelling me to the heart of this place."

"Well, your element isn't normal in the first place. Goddess, you're literally a blood manipulator,"

Reyn sucks his breath in and shakes his head.

"It's not that evil presence that would lurk within me during our childhood Kai. This is something different. It's bigger."

"And so we're passing through here not to reach Blue Moon, but for you to discover it yourself?"

"Yes..."

"Well--" he starts, but suddenly a huge crash sounds from outside. Screams entail.

Both of them burst out of the tent and find everything in an uproar.

A rumbling thunder was shaking the earth and what looked like a blizzard was forming. The wind was so strong that the little tents blew over and wolves were struggling to stay on their own feet.

The fires had been blown out and all chaos had erupted.

What the hell?

"Kai, round them up and go down the mountain!" I shout over the howling wind.

"What? You have to come too!" he hollers.

"No! I need to keep going, the counter-attack can go to hell!"

"You idiot," he screams, "you're the one who'll be going to hell if you stay in this shit-storm!"

"GO," he commands, and shifts to his form, bounding away and upwards, as the thick winds blow more and more into his fur.

It was practically impossible to see through the storm and Reyn began to worry for leaving behind his Beta and his wolves.

His paws were frozen cold and he could feel his exhaustion start to catch up to him.

But then, like electricity a pulse jabs at his heart.

He falls over, tumbling down a hill, and clutches his chest.

It felt like a burning metal searing at his heart. He painfully shifted back as a human and kept feeling the same pulses, drawing him somewhere, somewhere.

There.

He needed to go there.

Further into the rage of the storm, the angry nature that seemed to spite him.

Though the conditions were even worse and his body was almost at its' limit he clawed to what finally appeared as the edge of a cliff.

His breath slowed as hypothermia began to set in, but that was when he saw it.

Just at death's door, he couldn't believe his eyes.

Dangling from the edge of the cliff with one hand was a woman.

His instincts felt an unimaginable wave of desire, as he reached out to her.

Mate.