╰┈➤ chapter 5

╰┈➤ Laiyra

Laiyra groans, biting back a whimper as the cold brushes against the deep gash on her leg. Her fingers begin cramping from the freezing cold, but they clamp down harder on the jagged rock's edge.

She was hanging from the cliff, her whole body begging for her to let go, but she persisted with all her might. The blood burned like hell, dripping down her leg as bile threatened to spill from her throat.

Her arm screamed of the pain of supporting all her weight as her heart thumped faster than it had in her whole lifetime.

She was going to die.

She couldn't last much longer. The harsh wind and bitter cold was biting at her body, and her adrenaline could only last so long.

Her heart twinged with despair and she screamed a guttural, desperate cry for help. What could she do? No..

What had happened in the first place?

...

[3 hours prior]

"If this isn't the most beautiful place the goddess bestowed upon Mundane then there is no meaning to the word 'beauty' itself," Laiyra mutters to herself in awe.

She stands atop the hill, the towering pines shaking gently in the wind as she spreads her arms out and breathes in deeply.

She felt amazing. Ecstatic, even. The feeling of the mountain gave her such a strong sense of belonging.

It felt like she was...home.

She smiles once more, then quickly runs down the hill and returns to her camp.

As she walks through the thick snow, for some reason her head starts feeling a bit woozy, and she can't seem to walk straight.

The world seems a bit tilted and something kept prickling at her ears.

The prickling in her ear grew louder and more articulate. Sounding like, like-- words?!

No... not her ears. This was in her head!

Concerned, she moves to sit down, but she suddenly feels all the strength in her body disappear, and collapses.

...

"Mom? MOM!" her voice breaks, as she runs faster in desperation.

Stopping in her tracks, the smaller, younger Laiyra stares at the scene in inexplicable horror.

She had found her mother.

First, her hand. The loving hand that would comb through her hair and lull her to sleep.

It was separated from her body. Her bloody, bruised body. Her mother's once joyful eyes, devoid of all life. Her face was frozen in pain and her un-blinking eyes stared up at the sky.

"m...om" the girl's voice breaks, as she drops to her knees. A scream rips through her throat as she sobs in disbelief.

"No! Stay away from her!" she hears from behind her, turning around and seeing her father, the alpha of the Blue Moon pack, fighting against four Red Star wolves.

"Don't touch my daughter!" he pushes against the ferocious animals as tears flow down his face, "You've already taken my wife... she's just a child-- please!"

Everything was ruined. Everything was gone. This wasn't real, this couldn't be real!

Laiyra's breath picks up as she sees her father fighting to the death, in hysterics. She punches at the rough men and kicks, "Let him go! Let him go!" She roars.

"Let him--

A loud squelch and the gasp of her father stops the commotion.

She looks down, seeing a blade straight through his chest.

Her eyes widen, and he smiles faintly, softly muttering, "I will always love you, my Laiyra."

"No! NO!" She screams in agony, gripping her father in her arms tightly. The wolves creep closer, one lays its hands on the back of her neck, intent on choking her.

She growls in fury and twists the mans arm with all her strength, unable to see, unable to feel through her grief.

She lashes out against her opponents in a mixture of pain and rage.

Gusts of wind and ice whirlwind around her till her eyes give off a deep gold hue.

Laiyra

In the distance, the silhouette of a wolf calls. Faint, as if a trick of the light, but what seemed to be an ethereal creature resonated through her anger.

With the bright mark of a crescent, the wolf beckoned to her,

Awaken, Laiyra, Become

She rises from the ground with the power of three elements, furious, and un-stoppable.

And so, the slaughter began.

...

The wind howls fiercely, so harsh it invades her ears. Slowly opening her eyes Laiyra finds herself initially dazed— but quick to come to. Snow and blizzard whirled around her uncontrollably, fearfully dangerous and wild.

And this was not a storm of her creation.

Hurriedly Laiyra mind-links Nox, frantically asking them where they were, for any sign of life. Yet the harder she tried to reach out, the worse her connection got. It were as though the storm was blocking out any chance she had for telepathy.

The freezing cold hit Laiyra hard, her eyes just barely open from the violent flurries and gusts of toppling wind. She trudged to the rapidly rising snow, attempting to look for her camp, or a temporary shelter.

Her chest squeezed tight, limbs frigid from the snow, and pain was creeping up her spine. 

'I'll make it...I must....even for this far...'

However as minutes turned to hours the storm was not slowing down, or getting any better. She was experiencing extreme fatigue and was close to collapsing—until she saw a brief light in the distance of the foggy storm.

Without hesitation Laiyra rushes ahead, desperate for escape.

Though, as she sprints to her new-found hope she stumbles on something, and before she knew it she was weightless.

A shrill scream ripped through her throat as she had now realized she had made the wrong step. A step into thin-air. Her hand just barely held onto a branch for dear life.

Until, finally warm arms pull her upwards, dragging her somewhere, somewhere, and then it all faded out.