Chapter Six || No Hard Feelings

Y/N spent the entire morning trying to pry the rest of the boards free from the wall. So far, he had only succeeded in removing two and giving himself a splinter.

Exhausted, he plopped down on the edge of the bed. It didn't help that his side still ached, except now his stomach was aching as well. How long had it been since he last ate? He couldn't remember.

There was movement in the distance, near the barbed wire fence. Something big navigated through the trees. Something like... a carriage!

"Duke!" Y/N suddenly shouted.

He shot up from the bed and ran over to the window. There was probably enough space for him to squeeze through. After kicking out the glass, Y/N crawled headfirst through the opening and fell the short distance to the ground.

"Ow.." He grumbled, wincing as he pushed himself to his feet. That was a lot easier than he thought. Why didn't he think of it before?

When Y/N looked up, he noticed that Duke's carriage had stopped. It only took him a few minutes to traverse the field, avoiding piles of scrap as he went. By the time he reached Duke's carriage, he was well out of breath.

"Greetings, stranger! You must have a death wish, straying this close to Lord Heisenberg's factory." Duke calmly spoke as he held a cigar between his thick fingers.

Y/N rolled his eyes. "He fucking kidnapped me!"

Duke took a puff from his cigar and leaned back. The carriage let out a low creak. "You must be special, then."

"Special? How?" Y/N questioned, squinting at him.

"Heisenberg doesn't usually take live prisoners. Something about you must have intrigued him."

"Yeah, well.. I don't find him very intriguing." Y/N muttered under his breath as he glanced over his shoulder. That was a complete lie and he knew it. "Listen. I need to ask a favor of you."

Duke smiled. "Ask away. I am at your service."

"Heisenberg probably knows I'm gone by now. Can I hide in your carriage?"

"That depends..." Duke rubbed his fingers together as a sign that he wanted money.

Y/N groaned in dismay. "If you think I'm going back there to fish around for coins, you-"

"Relax! I was only joking." Duke chuckled. He gestured behind him with his thumb. "There's a door on the side of the carriage. Climb in and lock it behind you."

Y/N quickly ducked around the side of the carriage. He grabbed the handle of the door with one hand and pulled, climbing inside once it had opened. Only after it was locked did he let out a sigh of relief.

There wasn't much room, as the space that wasn't already taken up by the Duke was occupied by food, guns, and other various trinkets. The food was tempting, but Y/N knew better than to steal from Duke.

"I see him coming. It would be best if you kept quiet."

Duke's soft voice brought Y/N out of his thoughts. He pushed himself into the corner of the carriage and waited. It was all he could do at this point.

Soon, he could hear footsteps approaching. Duke shifted his position, causing the carriage to rock a bit.

"Well, if it isn't the iron lord himself. What can I do for you?" Duke greeted Heisenberg with his usual cheery tone.

"I have lost something of great importance to me." That was strange. He almost sounded... worried? "His name is Y/N. Perhaps you have seen him?"

"Hmm... I do not recall anyone passing through recently."