Chapter Four

Wattpad Estimated Reading Time: 5 Minutes

----------------------

Ash woke up sore from sleeping on her mama's old couch. She pulled herself off the couch, grabbed her shower supplies and the clothes she planned to wear before heading to the downstairs bathroom to take a shower. She let the water stay extremely cold in hopes of waking herself up.

Twenty minutes later, Ash steps out of the shower, refreshed. She checked the closet to see what she had to work with, she found a hair dryer, some lotion, facial products, and makeup. She blow-dried her hair and split her hair down the middle. (that's as descriptive as I can be as I'm tired and I let my hair air dry.) Once her hair is dried, she puts on her chosen outfit which was a white turtleneck with a grey plaid pencil skirt that ended about mid-thigh. After she finished getting dressed, she put on some light makeup specifically concealer as she was tired and it showed. She finished up in the bathroom and headed out to the main living area and mentally prepared herself to meet her younger sister.

She orders an Uber before walking around the two-story house, checking and locking all the windows. When she's sure everything is locked she grabs her keys and locks the door behind her. She sits out on the porch and waits for her Uber to pull up.

When the Uber pulls up she gets in the back seat before greeting the driver. She's content with the silence that her mind provided even when there was music playing. After a twenty-minute ride to the hospital, she waves goodbye to the driver before heading inside.

She smiles brightly at the man behind the desk.

"Hello, would you please direct me to the nursery," Ash asks politely. She listens intently as he lists the directions before meticulously following the directions. After going up three levels, and taking a couple of rights, she ends up at another desk.

"Hello, I'm here to see my sister," Ash greets, nervously tapping her nails on the desk that separated her and the lady.

"Yes, I'll need the name of the baby and mother and the room number of the mother," the lady says, as she moves her hand to the keyboard that sat in front of her.

"My mother's name was Ania Weber-Nowak, from what I was told, she passed yesterday," Ash sighs.

"She passed away three days ago, actually, she had post-birth complications."

"She died three ago? And I only heard about it yesterday!" Ash asks exasperated.

"Oh well, yesterday was hectic, your younger sister's name is Evelyn Ania Nowak," the lady reads off. "Your mother's friend has been around, last I heard she was in room 308."

"Okay, thank you," Ash says, turning to find the room.

She takes a deep breath as she feels her anxiety bubbling up. She finds the room and just stares at the doorway, knowing that the moment she steps through, her life will be changed forever.

She takes one last deep breath before passing over the threshold of room 308. There was sitting a woman she didn't recognize, holding a baby she could only assume was Evelyn.

"Are you the woman that called me?" Ash asks, pulling a composed look, pushing down any signs of anxiety.

"Ah yes, hello, Popiół you're even more beautiful than Ania described you as," the woman stands with a smile.

"Call me Ash. Now, why'd you wait a day to get in contact with me? And on top of that, who the hell are you?" Ash said, taking a seat on the unoccupied bed.

"I was busy contacting lawyers and CPS and people of all sorts and I'm Margaret, your mother's best friend."

"And you thought the person set to be a guardian is last to know, lovely," Ash mutters, crossing her ankles.

"Would you like to hold her?"

"I mean that's kinda in the job description," Ash says, letting a light chuckle out. She sets her arms in position as the woman places Evelyn in her arms. Ash takes a moment to admire her little sister. "She is beautiful," Ash mutters, leaning down to kiss her head.

"While all your mother's plans were set for her funeral, the payments have not been sorted," Margaret reveals, speaking slowly.

"I will pay for it," Ash replies with no hesitation.

"Wonderful!" Margaret claps.

"Who's her father?" Ash asks, cutting off her celebration. It's one of the questions that's been burning her since she heard the news.

Margaret pauses, her smile falling from her face, "from what your mother mentioned, she has a boyfriend that is a convict and it happened during a conjugal visit. After your mother found out about little Eve, she cut off all ties with him."

Ash nods, her eyes not leaving her younger sister. "That's not like her at all."

"It happens when you're lonely and depressed," Margarets says, shaking her head. Ash nods. "Now onto more important matters, your mother left her life insurance to Evelyn, in hopes of it paying for college, everything else was left to you, which includes her house and car."

"How much was her life insurance? Also, her car wasn't at her house," Ash asks, looking up from Evelyn.

"Two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars for Evelyn's college and educational future," Margaret starts.

"That's a hundred thousand dollars more than when I last talked to her."

"Your mother was actually expecting complications surrounding her labor and recovery."

"And she didn't even bother to fucking call me? That's fantastic," Ash mutters, sarcasm seeping from her voice.

Margaret ignores the comment before continuing, "so her car is in the parking lot, Evelyn's car seat is in there. What you do with all Ania's stuff is up to you; however, I assume you'll be selling most of it as you live in Florida."

Ash nods before asking, "when's the funeral? I have to book the closest flight back to Florida for my work."

"Well, Ash, as you probably didn't know doctors don't recommend kids flying under the age of six months," Margarets explains. Ash closes her eyes and takes a centering deep breath.

"I guess I'll be driving my mama's car then," Ash sighs.

"The funeral's in four days. Evelyn is getting discharged today, health care should cover most of her and your mother's costs, you'll probably receive the bill sometime soon," Margaret smiles. "I'll go get the doctor so she can go over some things and go over future plans for appointments and such."

A couple of minutes later, a lovely older doctor walks in. Ash stands up to greet her.

"So you're the famous Popiół I've heard so much about," She greets. Ash hands Evelyn back to Margaret so Ash and the doctor can come up with a plan that works with both of them comfortably. Soon enough she was given the clear to go back to her mama's home.

---------------

[1,155 words]

Thank you for reading and for all the support! Comments and votes are appreciated and they are free, plus they help keep me motivated to write.

She's acquired the child. I wonder how Clay is doing by himself.