7. Good Nature Worn Off

----
"Let's cheer each other on, and watch each other grow."
----

Hermione was furiously chopping up some carrots when Ginny apparated into her living room. 

"Whoa," Ginny's eyes widened when Hermione harshly scraped the shredded carrot off the board onto the omelette that was cooking on the pan. 

"Oh, hello," Hermione said distractedly, and hoped she didn't sound too put off. 

"How was work?" Ginny asked, settling down in one of the couches. 

"It was great," Hermione said in a falsely cheery voice, "Absolutely wonderful."

Hermione flipped the omelette, but instead of landing properly, it split in half. 

"Oh for the love of-" Hermione impatiently flipped the rest of it over. 

"What's gotten your wand in a knot?" Ginny asked, clearly trying not to laugh. 

"Nothing," Hermione gave up on trying to fix her egg and scraped it off the pan onto her plate, where it landed with a sad 'splat'.

Leave it to Draco bloody Malfoy to ruin her day. Going about the apothecary as if he owned the place and picking fights even over the smallest of things. There had been more than enough space for both of them to work, but he had chosen to ask her to move even when it hadn't been required, and then he had insulted her hair. As if his hair was any better.

"How was practice?" Hermione asked when the silence became painful. 

"Oh, it was great," Ginny said happily. She lifted her muddy feet onto the couch, and Hermione winced, "I finally mastered the Sloth Grip Roll."

"Lovely," the egg tasted terrible, as it was half cooked and raw on the inside. 

"You look hilarious when you're angry," Ginny burst into a fit of laughter, "I mean, not always, I've seen you really angry, but when you're annoyed like this it's hilarious."

Hermione rolled her eyes at her, and gave up trying to consume her egg. She pushed the plat away from her.

"So, what's got you all worked up?" Ginny asked, eyeing the egg.

"Nothing," Hermione repeated, "Work is great. Everything is great. Only my co-worker is the worst person on this entire planet."

"You never said anything about a coworker," Ginny sat up, grinning, probably happy at the prospect of a person to investigate with regard to whether or not said person was suitable as a date for Hermione, "Who is it?"

Hermione hesitated. 

"Malfoy," she said at last, not keeping eye contact.

Ginny gaped at her, "Draco Malfoy?"

"Which other Malfoy do you know who would work at an apothecary?" Hermione questioned resentfully. She shuddered at the thought of having to work with any of the other Malfoys.

"Have you hexed him yet?" Ginny asked eagerly, "If you haven't, you should. Or maybe you can poison him. Nothing too extreme, of course, just something mild."

"Oh, I might end up accidentally killing him some day," Hermione ran a hand over her face, "He's unbearable, Ginny."

"Oh, I know," Ginny said, patting Hermione's shoulder empathetically. 

"I thought we could get over our past dislikes and at least be decent towards each other, but no! All he wants to do is pick arguments." Hermione said in an exasperated way.