19. Sopophorous Beans

----
"If you don't step out of your comfort zone, you'll never know about all the big things you're destined for."
----

"Good morning Mr. Blak," Hermione said as she pushed the door open with her shoulder. The box full of Exstimulus was held carefully in her arms. 

Mr. Blak grunted his greeting. 

"Finally here, are you?" Draco drawled from the back, throwing her a triumphant look when he came to a stop beside her. 

"Assignment?" Mr. Blak lifted his head from his registry, and his eyes fell upon the crate full of Exstimulo, "Merlin's beard!"

He picked a flask out and flipped the cap open. Taking a sniff, he pulled an impressed expression, and then surveyed the color after fixing his monocle over his eye.

"Perfect in every aspect." Mr. Blak said, contented, sounding proud, "But what in the blazes am I supposed to do with all this potion?"

Hermione laughed sheepishly, "I thought you could offer it to the Ministry."

"And how exactly will you explain to them about where we got Re'em blood?" Draco feigned wonder. 

Hermione snapped her mouth shut, and closed her eyes. Forced out a breath, wanting to kick herself. Or better, Draco. 

"Where did you get Re'em blood?" Mr. Blak asked, sliding the flask back into its place. He looked awed by how flawless the potion was.

"Draco's old friend," Hermione said instantly, earning a glare from Draco, "He has a splendid place full dar-"

"Daring merchandise!" Draco interrupted hastily, clapping a hand over Hermione's mouth so that she couldn't speak further. 

Hermione was so shocked that at first, she forgot to react. She contemplated biting his finger, but held back.

When she reclaimed her senses, she stomped on his foot with all her might.

Draco yelped, and let go of her. 

"Keep your filthy hands to yourse-"

"Right, that's enough, now get to work," Mr. Blak said gruffly, waving them off. He picked the box up and placed it under the counter.

Muttering darkly under his breath, Draco stomped to the back. Hermione followed with her nose in the air. How dare he lay a hand on her? 

"Have you no manners?" Hermione asked the instant she got within whisper-shouting distance. 

"Have you no sense to shut up about people?" Draco hissed back over his shoulder. 

"Be thankful I'm not informing the Ministry about Finlay Willis and his illegal trade!" Hermione was beside herself. She was as cross as two sticks.

"Why I should I thank you for a lapse of your morals?" 

Hermione's mouth fell open. 

Oh, that sly, cunning, maddening, stupid, arrogant git!

"Score one for me," Draco said with a victorious air. 

"Too bad you're only stuck at one," Hermione said, not really realising what she was saying as she tied her hair up and pulled her apron over her head, "I was under the impression you'd never begin to catch up."

"What are you wearing?"

Hermione instinctively looked down at herself to see what she was wearing. When she finished surveying her bottle green sweater and her over-long skirt that was by no means flattering to her figure, she could not for the life of her find anything wrong with it.