46. The Examination

----
"I will not let the darkness hide my inner light. I will burn with the brightest stars in the night."
~Christy Ann Martine
----

The hum of chatter reached her ears as soon as she pushed the door of the examination hall open. People were already occupying the desks, some were undertaking last minute revision, some were talking with others to get rid of their nerves. 

"Nervous?" Draco asked from beside her. He was rocking back and forth on his feet. 

"A little," Hermione admitted, "I'll go find my desk."

They split to look for their assigned desks. Hermione found hers by the window at the far end of the room. Draco was ahead of her by four rows. Hermione put her bag down, and quickly went over to his desk. 

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Draco commented, while he himself looked like he had just had the misfortune of riding on the back of a water dragon. 

"I wonder who the examiner is going to be?" Hermione folded her arms across her chest. 

"Not that cow, anyone else is okay," Draco said immediately.

Hermione snorted, "Vinagodrova."

The Healer had just walked into the room, and by some strange bad luck happened to glance Hermione's way. Vinagodrova's eyes instantly narrowed as she wrinkled her nose disdainfully.

"Who's that?" Draco stood and pointed discreetly to a tall, balding wizard in deep blue robes. 

"American," Hermione said, more than a little surprised, "You can see his badge from here."

All the people in the room were murmuring and whispering. Sharon Sands, who had been sweating bullets a few seconds back, stopped muttering under her breath to look surprised. 

"What's he here for?" Hermione heard someone whisper the question, perhaps to a neighbour. The tall wizard's eyes darted to whoever had spoken, and the whisper died out instantly. 

"Everyone in your seats," Vinagodrova said, sounding more authoritative than usual. 

"Good luck," Draco brushed his fingers against the back of Hermione's palm. 

"You too," Hermione hurried away, shaken by how that simple touch had caused her heart rate to speed up ridiculously. 

Concentrate. Examination. Concentrate. 

"You will receive your questions shortly," it was the tall wizard who spoke. He had a slightly reedy voice, and spoke with unneeded flourish while pronouncing the letter 'R', "Before that, I have an announcement to make."

An anticipated hush fell across the hall. 

"The Rappaport Hospital for the Magical Community, situated in Albany," the man paused for dramatic effect, "Is one of the many prestigious wizarding hospitals in the United States. The RHMC has, recently, started a program to gather witches and wizards of high intellect and promising personalities to fill up the posts of Healers and Assistant Healers at the hospital for a period of three years."

Excited whispers passed through the room. Draco briefly looked over his shoulder at Hermione.

"I, Dorian Hailen," the man placed a hand on his chest, "Am here as a representative of the RHMC, along with few of my peers. I will be surveying your examination process, and will, in the end, select no more than three-" he held up three fingers, "-of you to be a part of the global program."

Hermione took a deep breath. It was an inviting opportunity, and although she didn't have any particular desire to go the States, she wasn't going to be uncaring either. She would give her best, regardless of the outcome.