🌌4🌌

"The dragon swoops towards the palace, the Valkyrie flies over, defeats the dragon, and saves Asgard." Loki simulated what she was describing with the small toys she had in her hands.

"Defeated doesn't mean dead, does it?" Olivia asked her with concern in her voice.

"If you don't want it do, it doesn't have to." Loki held up the small dragon toy in her hand and made it fly around in arcs. "Maybe Asgard keeps the dragon as a guard so other bad things can't happen to it."

An odd golden door opened behind the two girls, three figures in black and orange armor emerging.

"There's our Variant." The woman at the head of the small team said coldly. The other two went over and snatched Loki by the arms, dragging her through the portal.

"What are you doing? Who are you? Loki!" Olivia cried, but the soldiers didn't look back. One of them left a small cylindrical device on the ground that began to fill with purple smoke.

The next thing Olivia knew, she was alone in the room with toys scattered around. Frigga came inside with a gentle smile.

"Dinner's ready, darling." She said.

"Where's Loki?" Olivia asked.

"He's already at the dinner table. Now, come along. We don't want to keep the others waiting." Frigga took the child's hand in her own, Olivia following obediently. She briefly glanced back where the toys were, a little confused. Oh well, it didn't matter. She was always excited to see Loki.

He was her best friend, after all.

***

Loki and Olivia found Sylvie sitting alone on a rock in a clearing. The planet was close to crashing into the surface of the moon and imminent death was at hand. Loki sat down on the rock, Olivia between them. Sylvie barely glanced over, a forlorn expression on her face.

"I'm sorry." Loki apologized. Sylvie gave a short nod of acknowledgement before speaking.

"I remember Asgard. Not much, but I remember. My home, my people, my life... my best friend." She glanced at Olivia with a small, sad smile. Olivia returned it, though she honestly wasn't sure what Sylvie meant. The Variant continued. "The universe wants to break free, so it manifests chaos... like me being born the Goddess of Mischief. And as soon as that created a big enough detour from the Sacred Timeline, the TVA showed up, erased my reality, and took me prisoner. I was just a child. I escaped. Stole a TemPad and I ran for a long, long time, which really sucked. Everywhere and everywhen I went, it caused a Nexus event. Sent up a smoke flare, because I'm not supposed to exist. Until, eventually, I figured out where to hide. And so that's where I grew up. The ends of a thousand worlds. Now... that's where I'll die."

The planet began to crack and break further, larger chunks hurtling towards the surface of the moon.

"Not long now." Olivia muttered. Sylvie took a breath.

"Do you think what makes a Loki a Loki is the fact that we're destined to lose?" She asked.

"No." Loki replied. "We may lose, sometimes painfully. But we don't die. We survive."

"I mean, you did." Olivia added. "You were just a child when the TVA took you, but you nearly took down the organization that claims to govern the order of time. You did it on your own. You ran rings around them. You're amazing!"