Ch. 1 - Starting Now

The sound of giggles and sandals running over the freshly polished marble floors echoed down the hallway, accompanied by the desperate cries and calls of an elderly governess

The sound of giggles and sandals running over the freshly polished marble floors echoed down the hallway, accompanied by the desperate cries and calls of an elderly governess. The two 8-year-olds rushed around a corner and down a different hallway, before darting into one of the many side rooms, quickly closing the door as quietly as possible. 

Just to be sure, the two children hid behind a couch, both pressing their fingers to their lips to remain quiet, even though more giggles were threatening to spill out. Footsteps passed outside of the room, the governess still calling their names. "Your highness! Lady Saadovska! get right back here!" Only when the sounds disappeared down the hallway did the two children finally let their laughs go. 

"This had to be our best one yet.", the golden-haired boy said with a wide grin. 

"Absolutely.", the girl agreed readily, her brown locks bouncing with her enthusiastic nodding. "Though I do not look forward to the scolding later."

The two were notorious pranksters and today Vasily had been their target. They had been by the fountain in the courtyard, having races with their little toy boats until Nikolai and Taya noticed that the crown prince was cheating. So in the end, they tricked him into falling headfirst into the fountain. Something the governesses watching the scene did not approve of. Lucky for the two culprits, they were much faster than their guardians and had gotten quite proficient at hiding.

"Yeah, Vasily will tell our parents most likely.", Nikolai said but didn't seem worried. He was his mother's favorite and while his father was strict, he never had to fear dire consequences until now.  He wasn't sure how things were in Taya's home, but considering that she always re-joined him for playtime, he figured that she was also being let off the hook every time. A lecture by the governess and some solitary study time was the worst they had to fear really.

And to move that unpleasant experience as far into the future as possible, they turned the room they were in into their newest playing area. As they often did, they pretended to be adventurers, exploring unknown caves or challenging the stormy seas, or traveling through the fold. 

"One day I'm going to have a real ship.", Nikolai said, as he pretended to stand at a steering wheel. 

"Of course, you are the prince. You can buy as many of them as you like.", Taya agreed. "But you have to promise to take me on an adventure then."

"Of course. What would I do without my co-captain?"

______

5 years later

Nikolai and Taya were in their secret hiding spot in the gardens. He was stretched out on the grass, while she was sitting next to him, trying not to drown in the volume of her gown. For Taya, this was the first time wearing such a dress and she hated it already. It made moving so hard and the heeled shoes made her feet hurt after a while. Honestly, the satin deserved every grass stain she got onto it.