Ch. 4 - In my blood

Nikolai's birthday was drawing nearer, but no celebration atmosphere was hanging in the air

Nikolai's birthday was drawing nearer, but no celebration atmosphere was hanging in the air. At least not around the circle close to him. They had reason to be worried because, for all they knew, the Darkling was growing stronger and could attack any time. And if he did, they weren't sure if they were ready.

Alina was growing stronger, yes, but she had only been a sun summoner for a relatively short time. The other problem were the Darkling's newest allies. The Nichevo'ya were terrifying and no regular soldier would be able to take them on in a fight. It all rested on Alina, which didn't sit well with everyone. Not because they didn't trust her, but because they needed her alive to destroy the fold.

"It's not like you to be pessimistic.", Taya observed. The two were walking from the small palace towards the main one after another meeting with the Grisha. It had taken a while, but Nikolai had introduced her to this particular circle of friends and allies and had allowed her to become part of their plans and speculations. She was particularly impressed by the mirror apparatus the fabricators were building to increase Alina's powers.

She could see that he was searching for a comment to throw back at her, but the fact that he didn't come up with anything right away spoke more about his state of mind than any words could.

"You are worried about Fjerda. Or rather, about the border being an easy opening for him." He looked up surprised.

"I swear, if there were Grisha who could read minds so easily, I would assume you'd be one of them."

"It's common sense.", she retorted instantly. "Vasily is far from diplomatic and it's too good to be true. So it can only be a trap. But do you think he will strike so soon?"

More serious conversations had become the norm to them these days and while Nikolai preferred to joke around with Taya, he was glad that he had someone to have actual conversations with. Someone, who understood him and took him seriously.

"Yes, I think he will.", he said grimly. "We didn't weaken him that much and he must know that while Alina is revered as a saint, she is not almighty."

"But she is powerful.", Taya observed. "And we do have very capable and brave Grisha here, willing to fight for her."

Nikolai was glad at her attempt of cheering him up, but Taya had never faced the Nichevo'ya. She didn't know what kind of monsters they were and what a challenge they posed to even the most powerful Etheralki.

"We will just have to keep preparing ourselves as best as we can... and I apologize that I still haven't followed up on my promise with the stars."

She actually laughed and shook her head at it. "We can watch the stars by the lake after this is done. Maybe the weather will bow to you eventually. And now tell me, what do you want for your birthday."

He wanted plenty, none of which she could give at this point.

_________________________

The celebration was a grand affair. Bigger than any social event that season and Vasily was particularly sour about it all. Nikolai, meanwhile, was nervous. Since the last meeting with Alina and the others, he suspected an attack any day. He had even tried to talk his mother into canceling the ball altogether, but she had wanted to hear none of it.