Ch. 10 This isn't what we meant

"What?"

"What?"

Taya didn't quite know how to process Nikolai's last words. Surely they must mean something else. Silence hung in the air, as the winds around them began to pick up. It just wasn't clear whether they had come naturally or whether Taya had subconsciously used her powers.

"I said, a Queen doesn't bow.", Nikolai repeated, more seriously this time. What they had was fresh and new and he was probably rushing things, but he wasn't one to wait once his mind had latched onto an idea. Besides, Taya was the right one for the crown, he knew. She had shown intelligence and the willingness to give up everything for her country. At the same time, she could be passionate and understanding. And she was the perfect one for him.

"Stop teasing." She still didn't believe a word he said.

So he closed the short distance between them, grasping her hands in his. "I'm serious.", he insisted. "When we get back to Os Alta, marry me."

This should be the most joyous moment in her life. She had read about so many proposals in books and fairytales, but the reality of it was staggering. Taya was happy because this wasn't just a political move on his side now, but at the same time unsure, because it had come so suddenly.

"I love you, Nikolai.", she started.

"Oh Saints, this sounds like the beginning of a rejection...", he breathed out with a nervous chuckle.

"It's not a rejection.", Taya clarified. "It's more of an 'Are you sure? You should take your time to think about it'."

But Nikolai didn't need more time. The more he thought about it, the more certain he became that this was right. "I know what I want. I want you, Taya. As my wife and Queen."

She was far too susceptible to his charm, she realized. The way he looked at her now, so full of love and determination, while his hands held her securely, had her ready to say yes over and over again.

"I want to marry you.", she finally said. "I want to spend my life with you." His arms flew around her, ready to sweep her up, but she paused him for just a moment. "But first, let's solve the problems we have on our hands now. Your coronation and the Darkling."

Now he did lift her up, holding her tightly to himself and laughing happily. "Anything you want, my Queen."

_______________________________

Although Nikolai would have loved nothing more than to shout it out to the world, Taya convinced him to keep their engagement secret for now. Other things took priority and so their lives quickly fell back into a routine. They needed to continue preparations for a possible attack, while Alina practiced the Cut with Baghra. 

During the two weeks that followed, Nikolai and Taya often made the journey to Os Alta and back to initiate Nikolai's reign. As she had expected, the shift of power wasn't that unwelcome at first. Nikolai had proven himself during the last months and so the generals and nobles were ready to pledge their allegiance. A proper coronation would have to wait, however, the event being far too open for an attack.