Ch. 3 - Wildest Dreams

What Nikolai had asked of Taya wasn't as easily accomplished as he probably thought

What Nikolai had asked of Taya wasn't as easily accomplished as he probably thought. While she was indeed a member of one of the most influential families in Ravka, she was still just the daughter. Her father and older brother held all the authority and while they didn't doubt that Alina was the sun summoner and were ready to rely on her, they were careful with too much public support. And when it came to Nikolai, the Saadovska's refused to cooperate, not wanting to show any clear preference for either Lantsov brother. Not as long as it was unclear which of the two Taya would marry. 

"I am sorry, but they are stubborn.", Taya said during yet another social event a few weeks later, where she and Nikolai stood alone by the fireplace, each holding a cup of tea in hand. It was a quieter get-together with only select families, but the two still managed to find some time alone. 

"I figured as much. They don't wanna risk anything.", her companion agreed with a grave nod. "The Saadovska line has not managed to rise so high by taking reckless risks... No offense of course."

Taya rolled her eyes. It wasn't exactly a secret that her family had managed to accumulate their massive fortune by always blowing with the wind and knowing when to keep quiet. "I don't think you need to fight for the noble support. Not yet.", she said. "Many of the youth are with Vasily because they know him from hunting, gambling and balls. And the older generation will probably agree with the Tsar's choice, no matter who he picks." 

Even though it was a serious topic, Nikolai wore that amused grin of his, as if all of it was just a game. "And who does that leave for me?"

"The army, the Grisha and the people.", Taya replied simply, before taking a tip of her sweet peppermint tea. "Not as powerful at court, but the ones you really need to hold a crown." 

"Ah, but I need to get it first to hold it.", he reminded her with a wink. Taya couldn't believe that she was still actively helping him with it, but he was her best friend still, even after all these years. And honestly, she did believe that he would be the better ruler for Ravka. She was about to say something when they were interrupted by Nikolai's mother, who wanted to speak to him about his upcoming birthday.

Taya curtseyed politely and left the two to talk, only to find herself right in front of Vasily. He was a rare sight at court since his brother's return, but whenever he did show his face, he was making sure to be seen. With his parents, at the war table and especially during events like this. 

"You look beautiful as always, Taya." She hated how he had switched to first-name-terms without even asking her if she would be fine with it.

"Thank you, your highness. You are most kind.", she replied as protocol dictated.

"I see you are still spending a lot of time with my brother."

"Yes, we are childhood friends after all." Where exactly was this going?

"But we are not children anymore, are we?" There was something strange about his tone, but Taya knew better than to ask about it.

"Will you walk with me, Taya?", Vasily asked, offering her his arm. He had picked this occasion on purpose because he had her in a position where she could not refuse. So instead of answering, she just dutifully placed her hand on his arm and allowed him to lead her onto the terrace. Private, but still close enough to the others not to appear inappropriate.