Banished and Betrayed

15-Minutes Prior to Infiltration Mission

Agent D.C. stood anxiously and nervously as three of his fellow agents silently deliberated. He knew personnel rarely traveled that particular part of the ship and it had the extra benefit of being one of the few camera blindspots.

"Well?" he asked after waiting for far too long.

"I mean, it's not bad," Virginia began. "Could use some work, but not terrible."

"I think Caleb's was better," Delaware declared disinterested and shrugged.

"Well of course you think his was better," D.C snapped. "You married the man. We're talking about mine right now."

"Well I think it'll be just fine," Maryland assured him. "I've seen the way you and Juanita are with each other. She won't care even if it is a little... underwhelming." D.C looked down disappointed.

"So I should've dropped a little more on it is what you're saying," he said and examined the ring.

"Dude, she's not gonna care," Delaware chimed back in. "Don't overthink it and just do it."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but did you ask Oklahoma?" D.C got defensive, then sighed and leaned back. "Sorry."

"Look, you summon the DMV, you get the full critique," Delaware said.

"Well I'm happy for you, Marv," Maryland clasped her hands together.

"Thanks. And please guys-"

"Not a peep," Virginia made a motion in front of her helmet sealing her lips. "Not even to my own flesh and blood."

"I'll come up with something to explain my smiles away," Maryland swayed and departed to the hangar.

_____

___45 Minutes Later___

Agents New Mexico, Rhode Island, and York had been forced into the open by their foes, curiously with both armaments and lives in tact. They all glared at the large Brute before them and held their breathes for an opportunity to strike as it looked over their captured comrades. Then, just when they thought their still being alive amidst the pack to be strange, their giant foe surprised them all. After examining the two agents in its grasp, it began to let out a guttural, amused chuckle. All parties looked to one another for clarification before ultimately returning their confused gazes to the ringleader.

"These are no demons," it cracked a wicked grin and lowered the squirming Vermont and turned its head to its brethren. "They are little more than children pretending to be something frightening."

"Then they're Freelancers!" the Insurrectionist leader exclaimed. "They can't be allowed to leave here alive!" How do they know about us? New Mexico thought. Are these the same...?

"Mercenaries?" the Brute mused to itself and examined the captured agents. "Did you not tell me a mercenary informed you of this opportunity?"

"I'll show you mercenary work!" Rhode Island snarled.

"They're not mercs," the human leader growled. "They're with the UNSC!"