New Agent

North made his way through the quiet corridors of the Mother of Invention. It was still relatively early, most of the personnel were either still sleeping or grumbling their way to the mess hall. As a marksman, North appreciated the silence. He very much valued the people he worked with, but he took a bit of guilty pleasure in the silence granted by their absence. Wonder how long this'll last he thought to himself.

"Mornin, North," he heard York call to him. I just had to ask, didn't I?

"Hey, York," he sighed and waved as they approached each other.

"You hear we've got a new guy?" York began walking in the same direction North was heading when they reached each other.

"I've heard whispers we might get someone, but never thought too much of it." he answered nonchalantly. "What's their name?"

"No clue, but he's supposed to be sparring with Rhode Island in a few minutes. Wanna go watch em?" York suggested.

"I don't have any better plans with my morning." North shrugged in agreement. "Chief-boy volunteer or did he get ordered to?"

"Volunteered. Apparently he and the new guy go back pretty far. I heard Rhode mention that they both fought together alongside the Chief at one point."

"Well, as long as he doesn't start bragging about it too, I think I'll be okay with him."

"Round One in five..." they heard F.I.L.S.S announce from a slight ways off. The pair rounded the corner to see agents Maryland, South Dakota, and Maine as well as a few soldiers reclining at the viewing area overlooking the training floor. Past them they spotted Rhode Island clad in sage-green ODST armor with white stripes scattered about and his opponent, a man in rust-red Defender armor with gunmetal-grey accents.

"Hey, fellas," Maryland leaned back to acknowledge them, her light-blue Pilot armor and matching visor bobbed at their arrival to signify an upside down nod. North put up a hand to acknowledge her and focused on the combatants. Rhode, like most of the other agents, held the pugilstick in the middle and stalked around while his opponent held it as far down as he could as if it were a sword and directed it at Rhode.

Rhode Island made the first move. He twirled the staff and swung it at his opponent's head. The Defender simply took a step back before sending a baseball swing to Rhode's side. The movement was so telegraphed, however, that Rhode easily stepped in the opposite direction before it made contact. That's where everyone realized his blunder. His opponent used his left hand to bring the furthest end of the staff closer to him and shoved the pole forward with his right hand. The pole intercepted the agent's side mid-dodge and caused him to stagger.

"Damn," North heard his sister mutter. The original trio were now at the edges of their seats. Meanwhile, the new agent immediately retracted the staff towards himself before sending the end in a jab upwards on their comrade. Still recovering, Rhode Island was unable to move fast enough and took the full brunt of the attack before it was followed up with two swings to either side of his head and a jab to his gut before his assailant brought the staff down like a sledge hammer as he was doubled over. Rhode Island sprawled out on the ground and only attempted to get up when F.I.L.S.S announced, "Round One: Over. Pugilsticks training complete. Point awarded to: New Mexico. The current score is..."

"New Mexico, huh?" North noted.

"Sheesh, he made quick work of poor Rhodie with that staff," York shudderd.

"Phrasing, egg-head!" Maryland reprimanded him.

"He probably got lucky," South shrugged. "I'll bet Rhode Island lays him out every round after this."