Fun and Gun Games

"Doesn't this just bring back memories?" Maryland giggled as she helped Vermont secure her armor after equipping her own.

"They were pretty paintful," Vermont chuckled back. Rhode Island leaned forward into a locker and started snickering.

New Hampshire, on the other hand, groaned, "Dammit." The group of four weren't alone in the locker room. Eight other of their fellow agents were gearing up for a training match.

"So whose idea was this?" New Mexico asked.

"You can thank D.C. and Puerto Rico for this match," Virginia answered casually as she passed by him.

"Puerto Rico? Does that even count?" he asked again, earning him another smack upside the head from Rhode Island. Unlike their newest addition, the others understood the positions of seniority those two agents held.

"S'alright fella," an agent in Hazop armor with a swampy-looking cammo pattern, Louisiana, said as he sat down next to him. "I didn't get it neither first time I heard it. Name's Louzanna. How boutchu?"

"New Mexico," he shook his hand.

"Yer the Mexican?" another agent approached, this one in brown MJOLNIR with blue stripes and a red neck guard. "Shewt, you don' look like no Mexican I ever seen."

"That's cause I've got a helmet," New Mexico retorted and knocked on his helmet.

"Dis here's Al'bama," Lousiana said. "You'll hafta forgive um, he's a lil slow."

"Understatement of the f*****g millennium," Rhode Island muttered.

"No, I think Iowa's got him beat by a bit," West Virginia chimed in.

"But not as bad as that blue guy when we first got here," New Hampshire suggested.

"Oh yeah," Vermont seemed to recall. "The guy that helped me win."

"Oh, Caboose," Maryland clasped her hands together and spoke in a reminiscent tone. "He seemed like such a sweet young fellow. I hope he's doing okay. Have you spoken to him since, Vee? You told him you were friends.

"Well you see, I uh," Vermont began when two more agents, one in white ODST armor with black stripes and an orange visor and the other in dark brown MJOLNIR, joined the discussion.

"The fellas in the other room said they're ready," the ODST, D.C, informed them, looking up from a datapad. "Y'all ready or what?"

"I've been ready, man," Rhode Island tapped his locker and approached his friend. "You ready?"

"Well," he began.

"Oh, I said I'd pair up with him on this one," Maryland apologized. "I kinda like working with the new guys at least once while they're still fresh. I'm sorry." Rhode Island held up his arms and began backing up.

"No, it's fine. I see how it is," he said. "You get an offer to be on the same team as a lady and all of a sudden I don't exist anymore. It's cool, dude."

"C'mon, man, don't be like that," New Mexico defended his position as Rhode Island left his sight.

_____

The training room had reconstructed itself into a combination of lockout scenario and a siege scenario with a row of pillars on one side and a semicircular pattern of them on the other with an open space between the two. The game was simple. D.C, Puerto Rico, and a dozen Project Freelancer soldiers were on one team behind the semicircle and the other agents on the opposite end. The agents would have to work together to eliminate either all of the soldiers or the two opposing agents. To offset the numbers disadvantage, the agents were permitted to select a service weapon with one full magazine of paint ammunition in addition to their ammunition supplies for their pistols.