Prologue

Ana was nothing more than a village girl. That was until she was sent to work for Alcina Dimitrescu, and her three daughters at Castle Dimitrescu.

She arrived at the castle at dusk. A large, golden door greeted her. She hesitated before using the door knocker. She had never been to a place as lavish as this, was it really for her? She thought to herself as the front door was unlocked.

Behind the door was another maiden. The maiden looked Ana up and down before saying anything. "Can I help you?" She asked rather quietly, so she wouldn't disturb the ladies of the castle.

Ana cleared her throat. "Yes. I'm here to start working for Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters. I'm the new maiden, Ana." She held her hand out to the other maiden, who accepted it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ana," the maiden said as she gestured for her to come inside.

As the maiden closed the front door, Ana approached a large painting on the wall; it depicted three beautiful women. There was a plaque below the painting. It read "Bela, Cassandra and Daniela." It must be Lady Dimitrescu's daughters, she thought.

"Those three ladies are Lady Dimitrescu's daughters", confirmed the maiden as she walked over to where Ana was standing.

Ana was in awe, "They look beautiful."

"They don't look like that anymore," the maiden said with a chuckle.

Ana was confused by the maiden's comment. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"You'll see for yourself. Come now, it's late." the maiden abruptly ended the conversation before starting down a long hallway. Ana followed closely behind her.

Whilst walking alongside the maiden, she admired the castle's beauty. The castle's outside did not compare to its inside.

The maiden opened another door to a large open room with a grand staircase and four statue bodies without heads.

Ana was intrigued by the statues. Who has four beautiful statues without heads? "What are those things?" she asked the maiden.

"Statues", the maiden replied bluntly.

Ana rolled her eyes at the maiden's useless reply. "Why do they have no heads?"

"That is not your concern", the maiden said coldly as she turned away from the statues and started walking towards a room on the right.

Ana decided to stop asking questions for a moment and followed the maiden.

"What is lady Dimitrescu and her daughters like?" Ana asked. She tried to stop asking questions, but she still had so many.

The maiden sighed "do you have to ask so many questions?"

"I'm sorry if my curiosity burdens you." Replied Ana. She was just curious. Why was the maiden so uninterested in answering her questions?

Now the maiden rolled her eyes. "Alcina. Lady Dimitrescu is a tall, elegant woman who is very protective of her daughters and very picky when it comes to her maidens. She only chooses the very best, like myself." She looked directly at Ana when she spoke about Alcina's choice of maidens, to make some sort of point.

"The eldest of the three daughters, Bela, is a kind-hearted woman. She looks out for her mother and siblings and treats every living thing equally." She continued.

She sounds nice. Ana thought to herself.

"And finally, the other two, Cassandra and Daniela. Both are hot-headed, unpredictable and rash. Be careful around those two. They are danger-" The sound of buzzing cut off the maiden, and the laughter of two women could be heard.