Chapter 3- The dagger

It had been three days since the last time you visited your Lady's personal chambers. She had kept her word, and not drank any of your blood since you almost collapsed . You hadn't really seen her since then, you were certain she was purposely avoiding you, but you had no idea why.

You awoke early in the morning at 6am. Today was like every other day, your routine was back to normal now that you were feeling better.

You quietly closed the door behind you as you left your bedroom. You began to walk down the dark hallway with a candlestick in hand. You started walking down the stairs when you were startled by a voice. You stopped at the bottom of the stairs and listened carefully. It was your lady, it sounded like she shouting at someone. 

The shouting was coming from your ladies personal chambers.

You walked down the other flight of stairs to the main hall where the four statues were. The statues were different this time, they had faces now.

You walked to the door on the right which opened to the hallway, which led to Alcina's room. You could still hear her shouting, whoever she was talking to had clearly made her furious.

You walked along the hallway and stopped outside of her chambers. There were two voices coming from her room; Alcina's and Bela's.

You could now make out what was being said "Mother, this is serious! If someone has the dagger, they could kill us!" You gasped, there was a weapon in the castle that could your Lady and her daughters?

"Quiet, child! I'm trying to think" you heard Alcina snap at Bela. You pressed you ear close to the door, so you could hear more clearly.

"Mother, the maiden could help. She wouldn't be vulnerable to the dagger, we could get her to retrieve it from the intruder." They weren't really thinking about using you as bait to retrieve this weapon, were they? Maybe you were disposable to them after all. Maybe your life didn't matter to them as much as you thought it did.

"Bela, we're not even sure if there is an intruder inside the castle." Alcina's voice was different, she sounded scared? Clearly this dagger was more dangerous than you originally thought.

"Mother, someone put the masks on the statues. Clearly someone was trying to access the church. Someone must know about the dagger and its power." You heard movement behind the door before someone pulled on the door handle. You froze, what would they do if they knew you were listening into their conversation? You quickly and quietly hid in the room beside your Lady's bedroom. The door was open by a crack. You held your breath as both Bela and Alcina passed.

"I'll talk to the maiden, she should be in the kitchen at this time. Bela, you should inform your sisters of the situation." You heard Alcina say as they both passed.

They both stopped a few inches away from the room you were hiding in. "What is it, mother?" Bela asked as Alcina looked around. She looked directly at you, which made you gasp.

She shook her head as Bela touched her arm "I thought I heard something." She looked at Bela and smiled before placing her hand on her eldest daughter's cheek, "Be careful, Bela. Look after your sisters for me, please."

Bela nodded her head and smiled sincerely, "of course, Mother" she said as she transformed into a swarm of flies and disappeared.

Alcina lowered her hand that had previously been on her daughters cheek and sighed. You heard the faint sound of her heels against the wooden floor as she began walking down the hallway.

You opened the door of the room you were binding in and walked back out into the hallway.

Shit. You completely forgot that your lady was looking for you. You began to quickly walk down the hallway in an attempt to get to the kitchen or at least close to the kitchen, so your lady wouldn't realise that you had listened in on both her and Bela's conversation.