Day 10

The ship started slowing down. Water no longer rushed past in a roar, but a splash. They must be nearing the Cadorzian Islands.

Haiv pulled himself up using the wooden slats for support. His back was still sore and his arm throbbed, but his stomach wasn't complaining as loudly, and his muscles had recovered somewhat so he was able to stand without too much trouble. His shirt lay in a heap on the floor where he and Spir had left it after his triage session. It was now more red than the muddy brown it had been before. Hopefully he could find another shirt in Cadorzia that wasn't too expensive. Assuming he was even allowed to leave the brig.

Having spent his whole life on a ship, one might assume Haiv was used to being cooped up. And to some extent he was. He was accustomed to cramped living quarters shared with fat sailors with questionable hygiene habits, but he was also accustomed to climbing through the rigging with the sun on his face and the wind in his hair. Though it had only been barely over twenty-four hours that he'd been locked up in here, he was more than ready to breathe air that wasn't tainted with the smell of human excrement.

He began to pace, ears straining for any sound that hinted at how close they were to docking. That rhythmic kuchunk was probably the two dozen oars being churned back and forth, which meant the crew was probably trying to slow the ship even further.

Either that or there was no wind, and Haiv was wrong about them being close to the Islands.

The water at his feet splashed with his anxious steps. They would let him out, right? Spir would persuade the captain. Haiv had been looking forward to meza fruit and those weird trees that were long and skinny with fluffs of color on top. What were they called? Roia trees. The mainland didn't have anything like them, and they were something Haiv only got to see when they sailed these parts. Which wasn't often. Haiv suspected Rodigan avoided anywhere near his homeland of Lynt as much as possible, and Lynt was a neighbor to Rayshar. Which was just another thing that made this voyage all the more suspicious.

Cap'n Haiv, Haiv mused, testing how the title sounded. Needs work. Maybe I'll come up with a catchy nickname like...Haiv, the Destroyer. Yeah, that would be perfect!

But he wasn't necessarily taking over as captain. He was just leading the revolution that would get rid of the old captain. And, if he was honest, Spir was the one actually leading. Haiv was just a kid. He couldn't direct a bunch of ruffian pirates into any sort of coordinated attack. But it was what Spir wanted, and if it gave Haiv a chance to stick his sword into Rodigan's groin, it was worth it.

But still, the mutiny would leave The Adamantes without a captain. And Spir couldn't be captain because he was only here to save his family. Someone would have to be captain. And even though he was young, he would be the logical choice. The brave leader of the mutiny would be voted captain unanimously by those who wanted Rodigan gone, for none wanted him gone more than Haiv himself.

The enamoured shouts of "Cap'n! Cap'n! Cap'n!" faded out of his mind as Haiv heard footsteps outside. A moment later, Spir had returned. He grinned at Haiv.

Haiv's hopes soared. "I can go?"

"Rodigan just released you. I came straight here." Spir strode over to the post and unhooked the key.

A jingle and a lock-click later, Haiv had stepped out of his prison. Arms wrapped around him and he froze. Spir was hugging him. He hadn't had a hug since before his father died. He wasn't sure what to do. Did he hug back? That seemed appropriate. He tentatively wrapped his arm around Spir and squeezed. Spir squeezed back. Pain sizzled up Haiv's neck and he gasped.

"Sorry," Spir said quickly, stepping back and gripping Haiv by the shoulders. "I've been so worried about you."

"I'm—" the word "fine" got stuck in his throat. The day his father had died, he lifted Haiv into an empty crate and told him to stay put while the ship was under attack. He was insistent that Haiv not move until someone he knew found him.