Day 20-Part Two

As the longboat neared the shore, Haiv felt his arms slowly becoming less and less exhausted. His breathing became more and more steady, though he rowed at the same hurried pace. The two men in the boat with him were no longer quaking. Spir kept his gaze down, but Rodigan kept a watchful eye on Haiv. The look told Haiv Rodigan was well aware he was outnumbered in enemy territory and would act at the least provocation.

Hailoh stood on the beach, waiting for them. When Haiv got close, his father waded in and pulled the boat onto the sand.

"You brought friends," Hailoh grunted as Haiv hopped out.

Haiv grunted in irritation. "Wasn't my idea."

"You," Rodigan sneered clambered out of the boat and hauling Spir out after him. He glared at Hailoh with such intensity that Haiv wouldn't have been surprised if steam started billowing out from under his hat.

Hailoh returned the fiery look with one of pure ice. The two men were not pleased to see each other, that much was obvious.

After a long tense pause, Rodigan asked, "Does this mean you won't be stalking my ship no more then?"

"It is no longer yours to be stalked, Captain."

Haiv made a mental note to tell his father about the captain's new nickname. If everyone started using it, that would drive Rodigan—Cap'n Cressy—crazy.

Rodigan sneered at Hailoh's comment, but didn't argue the point. It seemed Spir had been right and Rodigan planned on achieving immortality with threats and bribery. Haiv wondered how long the crew would wait before taking The Adamantes back into known waters. Which of them would be the next captain? The one thing he was certain of in that regard was that when the ship left, Haiv would not be on it.

"Fine then," Rodigan huffed, looking around at the surrounding hills. "Which way to the Palace?"

Haiv looked at his father. "There's something we need to do first. What part of her soul is in the necklace?"

Hailoh's eyes moistened and a hopeful smile spread across his face. "The Layel. Her heart."

Hopefully he didn't mean her literal heart, because that could get kind of gross. Haiv turned and looked at Spir who was still wearing the pendant.

"Layel of Hailuah," Haiv said, feeling warm from his head to his toes. He was about to meet his mother. He knew it. His voice trembled as he continued. "I Free you from the necklace."

The pang in his stomach was such that Haiv fell onto all fours. Hailoh moved to stand by his side. Spir cried out as the necklace began to glow a blinding white. The white mixed with the pink in the air and created a flurry of reflected light of all different colors in every direction. Everyone shielded their eyes.

When the light faded, Haiv looked up and she was there.

Sort of. She was a white, translucent silhouette. The woman's face was a mask as it tilted in Haiv's direction. She knelt before Haiv, held his face gently in both hands and brushed her lipless chin across his brow. Her touch was warm but sent a shiver through him. This was not his mother, only a piece of her. His heart ached at the sight of her figure without detail, but still full of emotion somehow.

The woman straightened and held out her hands to help him up. Haiv took her wrists with trembling fingers and allowed her to pull him to his feet. She then turned to Hailoh who was silently weeping. She laid a pale hand against his cheek.

A sob escaped Hailoh. "Lua..."

Haiv watched with wonder. There was an intimacy in that touch that he had never seen before. That was it. The reason Hailoh had Bound her to the necklace in the first place, the reason he'd made a deal with Rodigan for the shadow. Haiv could see that everything his father had done, whether it had worked or not, was so that he could have this moment. So that he could feel his wife's touch one more time.