Day 11

"This is never gonna work."

Haiv glared at Hairless Mits, even though he knew the Aldirolfan couldn't see his face in the darkness. They could just make out the outline of The Adamantes across the dock because of its lanterns.

"Honestly kid, I know I did wrong in tellin' the cap'n 'bout yer thievery. What you did was right, then. But this...Haiv, this is suicide." Mits spoke softly enough that the others couldn't hear, but the words still irked Haiv.

"Nobody's forcin' you teh be here, Mits," Haiv snapped. He squinted at the ship. A frantic figure approached it in a hurry. Haiv smirked with satisfaction. With his arms waving above his head and his shouts carrying across the marina, Corkle did a pretty convincing job.

Mits shut up and crouched beside Haiv behind some fishing crates. At least he wouldn't be running to be a tattle-tale again.

One of the lights onboard bobbed as it moved towards the starboard wale. Good. They'd noticed Corkle. The one-eyed man climbed aboard and Haiv held his breath. This was the test. Would Rodigan really value Haiv enough to leave the ship to rescue him?

Though he knew it would happen, he still let out a small gasp of surprise when Corkle came back down to the dock followed by a tall man wearing a large hat.

Markham let out a low whistle. "Souls, he really did it. What does the cap'n want with you, Haiv?"

Haiv shook his head. It was unnerving. Haiv didn't even know how to use his supposed powers, but Rodigan was depending so much on them. The thought made him even more angry. How dare Rodigan expect to use him without ever mentioning that Haiv was special.

Haiv glanced at Mits. "Doesn't matter. Now it's our turn."

He stood up in a crouch and led the group past two empty berths before ducking down again behind some barrels. The Adamantes lay before him, abandoned by its captain. On deck, there was a man keeping watch at the prow. Haiv almost declared they'd go with plan B and dive into the marina to come at the ship from behind, but then the watchman shifted and the lantern light reflected off blond hair.

Slowly Haiv straightened and raised his hand. Spir casually looked over his shoulder at the deck behind him, and held up a warding hand to Haiv. After a few tense moments, and a trickle of sweat running down the back of Haiv's neck, Spir turned back and beckoned them forward.

"C'mon," Haiv hissed at his fellow mutineers.

They followed him in a line like ants as he ran to the side of the ship. The Adamantes had a handy set of steps built into the side, which was good because Haiv had to climb one-handed and certainly wouldn't have been able to manage with a simple rope. Soon enough, Haiv hauled himself over the wale and his feet felt once again the familiar smooth wood on deck.

Spir hurried up to him and gripped his shoulders. He moved Haiv away from the wale as the others made their way on board.

"What's going on?" Spir whispered furiously. "Master Corkle said something about you being captured?"

"Change of plan," Haiv muttered back. "Where's Eamer and Porter?"

"In their cabins," Spir said. "But Rodigan—"

"Is being taken care of." Haiv drew his sword. It would be a little awkward to wield it one-handed but he'd manage. He had to.

"C'mon," he told Spir, "We've gotta take the ship before Corkle gets back."

With that, Haiv took off toward the passageway leading toward the chartroom and the captain's cabin. The other mutineers were drawing weapons as well and they each headed in a different direction looking for those who had remained onboard, and therefore loyal to Rodigan.