Chapter 2

At the dining hall, the Earl of Theodore was already seated at the head of the table and looked toward me as I entered.

"You're late."

Richard's curt greeting left me with my brows creased. But I didn't pay him any attention and went to sit opposite him.

"Did you wait?"

"I couldn't even serve you tea, so shouldn't I wait for you at dinner to make up for it?"

"You're more considerate than I thought."

What a guy. He purposely used my words earlier against me to tell me off that I was late.

When I sat down without showing any expression, Richard stared at me.

"You look pale."

"I must have overdone my makeup."

I didn't want to tell him that I wasn't feeling well.

Richard was still observing me without saying a word as if he knew that I was lying.

"......."

When I remained silent, Richard finally picked up his fork and knife. I followed suit but didn't touch my food.

"You're different than I thought." Richard said before putting a slice of Prosciutto e Melone in his mouth.

"May I ask what were you expecting?" I asked, pretending not to know.

I only stayed for a day, but it's unlikely that he'll kill me. Above all, I already knew what was going to happen to me in the future. This man will abandon me and brush off all my woes.

Instead of killing me, he will choose to deny my existence. As it was, I would end up with a few lines of begging for attention to this man and dying a lonesome death.

It would be a fate that cannot be changed, however, I wouldn't be begging for love before I die.

Because I'm the new Diana Theodore.

I wasn't the kind of woman who was dying while being pessimistic about her situation. I wanted to live the way I wanted while I was still alive.

I only had a few lines in the original story, but at least I didn't want to live a depressing life awaiting death.

Why don't I stay next to Richard and increase my presence little by little?

The minor thought gently caused a stir inside me.

It doesn't have to be love, so I thought it would be a good idea to become one of his people so that at least he'll help me find a cure for my illness.

"It's nothing big. You looked better than you should."

"You were expecting that I would be bawling my eyes out after being sold off, weren't you?"

Richard frowned at my blatant choice of words and said, "I was thinking of something similar but nothing to that extent."

"Is that so? Still, it's a pity that you had to expect that sort of thing but I'm not that kind of person. Let me know if you don't like the way I present myself, I can do just that."

I thought I'd get a blunt response from Richard, but instead, he laughed.

"You're not worse than I thought."

".... Eh?"

You have a strange taste.

As I narrowed my eyes and stared at Richard, he looked back at me with his fork down. Then he suddenly spoke.