𝟕 ─ 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐬

vii

vii. camping trips

The house hidden in the shadows of the forest sat quietly. Less alive. Granted, no one inside the home had a beating heart or coursing blood. But today, it seemed abnormally dead. 

The days dragged. Without Edward or Emmett. Cora felt lost without Edward's guidance, without his words of wisdom and the hours they'd spend talking to one another. The atmosphere was still without Emmett here to lighten the mood. To make inappropriately timed jokes that get him scolded by Esme. Without Emmett, Cora felt like she hadn't laughed. They'd been set to return on Sunday. But when the day came and the two didn't arrive, it seemed as though they'd prolonged their hunting trip. 

Charlotte and Peter stopped by for a visit. Just as Edward said they were going to. The pair were close with Jasper, and Charlotte and Alice had also grown close. Apparently, Peter and Jasper went way back. But neither of them told the story. They were an odd pair. Quiet and clingy. Similar to Jasper, minus the clingy part. The pair mostly just stayed to themselves. 

Cora found herself escaping into Edward's room multiple times a day. Stupidly hoping to find him standing in there. She never did. Growing bored, Cora ended up skimming through his entire book collection, neatly placed in a bookshelf lined against the wall. They were just as boring as his music taste. Not that she didn't like classical, but Edward should really expand his palette when it comes to the arts. 

With nothing else to do Cora would wander the house. She sat alone for a bit in Carlisle's home office. Nothing but medical journals and notes cluttered the wooden desk. In the garage she found Rose, working on her car. But she didn't stay long because Rose didn't like to be bothered while she was in the garage. That was Rose's quiet place. Finally, she found herself stumbling into the greenhouse. There Esme had put her to work instead of having her sulk. And it helped. While potting newly sprouted flowers and tucking away seeds in damp soil, Cora's mind was finally at ease, and she wasn't so dreadfully bored. 

"You miss Edward," Esme spoke. Her tone was warm, like a blanket being thrown over cold shoulders in the winter. 

Cora glanced over at Esme. She had soil smeared on her cheek and pastel pink potting gloved covering her cold hands. The gloves had now been stained black from the soul that they'd been digging in for the last hour. Her dark hair was pulled back, out of her face, and tied into a knot at the top of her head.