𝟐 ─ 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐆𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐬

ii

ii. school grounds

The school wasn't too hard to spot. The school was just off the highway. It was not obvious that it was a school; only the sign, which declared it to be the Forks High School, made it clear that they had arrived. It looked like a collection of matching houses, built with maroon-colored bricks. There were so many trees and shrubs hiding the true size of the building. Cora looked at the school confused. It didn't have the institution feeling to it like her school in Seattle did.

Rosalie parked in the far end of the parking lot, right near the front office, which has a small sign over the door reading: Front Office. No one else was parked there. It was like the spots were reserved just for them. Cora stepped unwillingly out of the back of the red vehicle and sighed as she looked up at the sign over the brick building.

Sensing her discomfort and nerves, Jasper placed a comforting hand on Cora's shoulder and grinned, "If I can do it you can too."

A sudden rush of contentedness washed over Cora, replacing all of her nervous feelings. She laughed lightly to herself. She envied Jasper's gift. Being able to adjust the moods of those around you. It could come in handy. Like it is now.

"You'll do amazing," said Alice, in her beautiful, sing-songy voice.

"She's right," Emmett agreed, his arm slung lazily over Rosalie's shoulder. "And we'll all be here to help you if you need it."

Cora sighed as she made her way down a little stone path lined with dark hedges. She took in another breath before pulling the large door open. Inside it was brightly lit and the warm air coming from the vents in the ceiling made her hair blow out of place. The office was small; a little waiting area with padded folding chairs, orange-flecked commercial carpet, notices, and awards covering the walls, a big clock clicking loudly. Plants grew everywhere in large, plastic pots, as there wasn't enough greenery surrounding the school already. The room was cut in half by a long counter, cluttered with wire baskets full of papers and brightly colored flyers taped to the front of it. There were three desks behind the counter, one of which was manned by a large, red-haired woman wearing glasses and a purple t-shirt.

Carlisle had been right about the smell. The heated air coming in through the vents only amplified the smell of each person's blood racing through their veins. Cora felt as though she hadn't drank in days suddenly. It was like having gone on a run as a human, and forgetting your water, and by the end, all you can think about is the cold liquid running down your throat, soothing the lust. Cora bit the inside of her lip to help ignore the scents feeling her nostrils and making her throat burn.

The red-haired woman looked up. "Can I help the two of you?"

Another girl had walked into the office behind Cora. She seemed just as lost and nervous as Cora. Her long brown hair hung down her back, and she wore a pair of dark-wash jeans with a green baseball shirt, the dark fabrics only made her light skin appear even paler under the lighting in the office.