𝟏 ─ 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐟𝐮𝐥

i

i. perfectly dreadful

A gloomy, rainy day is one of the shadows. The pattering of the rain on the rooftop hadn't let up all evening. Heavy clouds blanketed the blue sky, hiding any ray of the sun that threatened to peak out.

It was a perfectly dreadful day.

Cora had not slept a minute. Though it no longer came as a surprise to her ─ she had experienced many sleepless nights now. But she missed it. The feeling of sleeping and the carelessness that came with it, being able to shut off the racing thoughts inside your head for a few hours. The bed that Esme had placed in Cora's room served no purpose other than decor. Sleeping was something that Cora thought she'd never have to miss. Waking up in the morning in a groggy state of mind and cuddling beneath the covers, it was gone.

As well as sleeping, Cora missed the true mess of a teenager's bedroom. The one she stood in now seemed so empty... so lonely. There was a desk, a bookshelf, a few dressers, and her large, four-post bed placed in the middle of the room, but that was it. There was no mountain of clothing waiting to be washed or a chair in the corner of the room that held all of her unfolded clean laundry. Cleaning her bedroom only came as an afterthought before, but now, this past month, she couldn't stop cleaning. Because sleep no longer came, she had so much time, and so little to do.

Cora had been standing in front of the full-sized mirror hung on her closet door for what felt like an hour now. Her heart broke all over again. As the features that once held the remnants of her family had changed.

Her once light blue eyes that she shared with her mother had changed into a darkened color of gold. Not yet as light as the others' in the house, but on their way. The freckles she had inherited from her dad was no longer traceable. She remembered hating them growing up, but her dad insisted that she had to love them because they were kisses from the angels. Angel kisses. But along with every pimple and scar that had once been visible on her face, they had been wiped away. Even the scar she got when she was seven-years-old from falling off an old tire swing was no longer visible above her right eyebrow.

Her skin had turned into what she always wished it was. Porcelain and without one flaw. Like a painting. But she'd trade it all just to get back her blue eyes and freckles. For her face now was only a mask. A mask made to hide the monster behind it.

Cora had taken longer to pick out an outfit than she anticipated. Alice, Esme, and Rosalie had gone shopping for her. Cora couldn't go because they feared it was still too early to introduce her to human society. She had told them about the kinds of clothes she was looking for. Alice and Rosalie hating it. Neither of them understanding her obsession with flannels and denim. And neither of them bought something she'd wanted. Esme had listened though and came back with a bag filled with flannels and denim jackets.