Chapter 21 •A Cold Night•

I pulled my blanket tighter around me, trying to block out even the slightest amount of cold air.

My room was freezing and it was dark. I didn't get a second of sleep and I had been trying to for what felt like hours. I had completely drowned myself in multiple blankets, even covered my face with it, to warm myself up.

Frustrated with everything, I removed my blanket off my face, angrily. When I opened my eyes, my breath caught in my throat and I suddenly froze. And it wasn't because of the temperature in my room.

I saw two figures standing in the corner of my room. Tall men from what I could make out. Covered in darkness, their faces were not visible, but it was enough to scare me into silence.

My heart rate rapidly increased and I couldn't move nor talk. It was as if someone was holding me in place and all I could do was watch.

For a couple of seconds, I just sat there, watching the 2 figures, not knowing what to do. One of them held something shaped like a weapon in his hand, but neither of them made any movement.

Gathering an ounce of courage, I slowly inched my hand to the lamp on my bedside table. My chest rose and fell heavily as I let out uneven breaths, scared for my life. My hand landed on the string of the lamp and I pulled at it, letting the light swallow the darkness of the room away.

I let out an audible sigh of relief as the figures ceased to exist before my eyes. But I swear that I wasn't just imagining it. They looked too real.

I sat further up my bed and leaned my back against the bedpost. Putting a hand on my chest, I felt my heart pounding inside of me.

I started reciting Ayatul Kursi, Surah An-Naas, and Surah Al-Falaq. Then, I got up, made wudu, and decided to pray.

When I was done, I put on the hood of my sweater, tightening it around my face. Despite the sweat that had formed on my body from my fright, the house was still freezing because of the weather outside. It didn't feel as if the heater was on.

I quietly exited my room, making sure not to wake anyone up, then crept downstairs, heading towards the kitchen. Maybe if I made myself a warm drink, I'd be able to fall asleep later.

Everything was dark downstairs, too, and I had to feel around the walls to make sure I didn't bump into anything.

I was also paranoid that I would see something in the dark again, so I tried not to look around me too much. I just focused my attention on getting to the kitchen.

When I got there, I turned on the orange mini light above the oven. Then, I started to make myself some ginger cinnamon tea.

I took it out when it was ready and added a spoonful of honey into it, mixing it in. After that, I took a seat on a nearby chair and waited for it to cool down a bit before drinking it to avoid burning my tongue.

Steam danced its way out of the cup and I reached over, shivering, and let my hands warm up from the heat.

While my drink was still cooling down, I heard some footsteps near the kitchen. I quickly shot up from my chair, trying not to make any sound, and shoved myself into the pantry, afraid that it was the same men I had seen upstairs.

My breathing became raggedy once again and I was scared that the loud pounding of my heart would give away my hiding place.

The faint footsteps became more audible as they approached the kitchen door. I shut my eyes tightly and started to recite more surahs. The door opened and in walked a heavy pair of footsteps.

I held my breath for a few seconds, but nothing seemed to happen. I couldn't hear anyone either.

Okay, Amarah... it's time you stood up for yourself. I looked to my right and saw the kitchen broom propped up against the wall. Grabbing it as my weapon, I slowly opened the pantry door, prepared to swing at the culprit.