Chapter 10 •Craving Normality•

"Assalamu Alaikum, how was your school day?" My dad greeted me from the couch when I stepped into the house.

"Walaikum Assalam, Baba, it was alright. How come you're already home?" I asked him as I took off my shoes. My dad usually got home later at night. He always had to work long hours, so I didn't normally see him at this time. 

"I got off early today. We are having guests over for dinner."

I heaved a sigh. Great, that meant less time for myself. I guess that's why Iffat left to get some things from Walmart. 

I took off my hijab and hung it on the coat rack near the entrance, then I made my way over to the couch and slouched down next to my dad. 

He muted the TV with the remote and turned to face me and said, "That girl that threw her drink at you, she isn't bothering you anymore, right?" 

I thought about telling him the truth for a second but then decided that it would be way simpler if I didn't. "No, not really," I told him, staring at the moving fan on the ceiling.

"Let us know if she does, ok? I will have a talk with her parents and the school if you need me to." I nodded my head. But that was exactly why I didn't want to tell them. If my dad did talk to her parents, it wouldn't make a difference because it was obvious that they let Jean do whatever the hell she wanted. They spoiled her to no end. And the school, well they would just side with Jean because her family was filthy rich and could easily make the school keep their mouths shut. "Now go and get some rest before the guests arrive, you look tired," he patted my head. I gave him a small smile and retreated to my room. 

•~°~•

I woke up to someone jumping up and down on my bed. I rubbed my eyes, confused as to what was going on. Was it time for school? I couldn't remember going to sleep.  

When my eyes focused, I saw that it was just Hawa, trying to wake me up. I grabbed a pillow from under my head and smacked her legs with it, causing her to lose balance and fall on top of me. "Ow. Get off!" I smacked her some more until she rolled off of me, on to the floor. Annoyed, I got up and grabbed my phone from the bedside table. I looked at the time and it read 7:12 PM. 

I suddenly remembered that we had guests coming over and I was not ready at all. I must've dozed off into a nap when I came up to my room. "Mama and Baba sent me to tell you that the guests are almost here," Hawa told me.

"Who's coming, anyway?" I had to know whether I would have to interact with anyone or not.

"It's Mr. and Mrs. Faris," she told me. The Faris' were old family friends of my parents. The last time I saw them was not too long after I got back home in the summer. "Oh, and I think the new neighbors are also invited," she added, before leaving my room.

I had no idea Laith was coming... It was probably a last-minute thing since he didn't mention it at school. 

I heard the bell ring downstairs. Dang it, they were here. I hurried to the restroom with a change of clothes and a hijab. I quickly got ready there and made sure to do wudu so I could pray before going downstairs. 

After praying, I went downstairs and greeted Mr. and Mrs. Faris. "Amarah, dear, how have you been?" Mrs. Faris asked me, after hugging me. She had green eyes and light brown hair, which was covered with the black hijab she had on. Her husband, Jawed, had dark brown eyes, sandy brown hair, and a beard. Their only kid, Osman, was married and lived in New York with his wife. They were a nice family.