Chapter 1

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, Liz."

I don't acknowledge my best friend, my eyes instead riveted on the swirling blue green water beyond the weathered dock we're seated on.

"Earth to Liz," she says and I blink. It's almost hypnotizing, watching the water spin and disappear into the small hole in the middle of the pond.

"It's like a toilet," I murmur, and it truly is. Apparently, a giant sinkhole resides under this spring-filled pond and the water empties into it and goes who knows where. Oddly enough, though, its direction defies the laws of Physics and the Coriolis Effect, spinning in the opposite direction for this side of the Equator. It's quite fascinating really...

"Speaking of toilets, let's get back to Patrick," she says, and I blink again, breaking my momentary trance to shoot her a quick glare.

"Cause he's full of shit, Liz. Get it?" she snorts.

"Clever," I mutter. I don't recall a conversation about Patrick ever resulting in anything but negative comments from her. Oddly enough, I never correct her, or get angry or defend him because deep down, I think she might be right, I just won't admit it.

"There is no such thing as a Born-Again Virgin," she scoffs, and my eyes roll as a sigh escapes me.

"He says he wants it to be special when we finally have sex as a married couple. It makes sense, I guess," I shrug.

"When exactly did you become such a doormat? This isn't you, Liz. You need to test things out, make sure you're even compatible!" she exclaims. "What if he's sporting a diseased gherkin in his shorts? What if the reason he doesn't want to do it is because he has a teeny weeny? Did you ever think of that?"

"Size doesn't matter," I respond, using the world's most conciliating cliché. I so don't feel like having this conversation right now.

"Ugh! You're just afraid of being alone! That's the only excuse I can come up with why you would tie yourself to this toolbag. Admit it!" she states as she turns her seated body toward mine and grabs my arm.

I have no answer to that, so I keep my mouth shut. Maybe she'll drop it.

"We've been friends since first grade. Twenty-five years! This is the goofiest thing you've ever done, I swear."

Ok, maybe not.

I look down at the ring he gave me only two months after our first date. It's not impressive, I suppose, compared to the massive rock on Jen's finger but I like understated. Understated is good, it's less pretentious and infinitely more sensible.

"Even his ring sucks."

"Ok, that's enough. Can we talk about something else? Like maybe the fact that you should be getting your hair and makeup done instead of beating me over the head with this yet again?"

"You need to be beat over the head. I'm trying to talk some reason into you. I don't want you to make a mistake, that's all. I thought you would never recover when your folks died, but you did. For two years, I've been trying to get you back to the land of the living and suddenly he shows up and you have some sort of epiphany?" she exclaims before her eyes narrow at me. "Does he know how much you inherited?"

"I -" I start but stop myself. I know where she's going with this. She dated Gabriel for five years before he proposed. My speedy engagement was alarming to her and to be honest, it surprised me too, but I figured the timing was right.

I lost both of my parents in a car accident. I have no siblings, no real family left except for an aunt and a cousin that don't bother with me, not that I've ever bothered with them. I have one real friend, lots of acquaintances and colleagues but not many I really connect with. Patrick and I connect on an intellectual level and I suppose that's good enough for me right now.