Chapter 11

"Your friend needs to learn how to count," he says in a low tone.

My eyes scan the front yard and there must be close to a hundred people milling about, sniffing and touching the multitude of roses.

"You can let two in, that's it. The rest need to go."

"How about all of them?" I ask hopefully.

"How about none of them," he quickly counters. I press myself to the side of the doorway to look at his face. I need to know if he's smirking or not.

He's not.

"Ok. Ten," I try.

"None."

"No! That's not how you negotiate! You say nine or eight. Like Pawn Stars! So, I say ten and you say..." I prompt.

"None."

"You suck," I hiss out under my breath. "How about four?" I ask as a last-ditch effort.

"Four. All right," he concedes with his lips slightly tilted upward on one side. "But I was going to say five."

"Ok! Five! Yes!" I agree with an enthusiastic nod.

"No. Four. You said four, we'll go with four," he states resolutely and I'm holding myself back from throat-punching him.

He turns his head and I follow suit to find all eyes on the man next to me, widened and focused on his very visible face.

I widen my eyes back at them, shaking my head slightly in non-verbal communication. They need to stop staring or I fear the hood will materialize once again.

"Choose," he orders without looking at me.

"Umm, Ok," I ponder out loud as my eyes focus on Woody and Ava. I point at them and beckon them to me with my hand. I'm looking for Ivan but he's nowhere to be found so I do the same with Cyan and big hairy guy, whom I believe I will name Bob, because while my first choice 'Harry' would be easy to remember, it might be considered a bit rude, now that I think of it...

Everyone is still standing in awe or fear...not sure which, but I keep pointing and flicking my wrist urgently before he changes his mind. Finally, they blink a few times and wander cautiously toward the front steps.

"Hi!" I greet them enthusiastically, stepping in front of Krit and descending a couple of the steps toward them.

"The rest of you need to leave. Now," I hear bellowed behind me. "You either walk out of the gate, or I toss you. Your choice," he adds, and I clamp my lips together and squeeze my eyes shut in frustration.

There's a mass exodus walking through the gate, I notice as I squint, then open my eyes fully. Some of them are waving at me, and I respond back with a furtive wave of my own before focusing my attention on the four standing before me.

"Would you like some coffee?" I ask brightly before my eyes snap to Woody. He's so obviously staring at Krit's face behind me. I clear my throat to get his attention to snap to me.

"Stop staring!" I mouth to him and he has the nerve to roll his eyes.

"I can't help it!" he announces. "I've never seen it! What do you want me to do?" he huffs out loudly.

"Act normal," I respond before turning.

He's grumbling something behind me, but I can't concentrate on him when my gaze is connected to the man blocking the doorway. I give him an imploring look that hopefully serves to motivate a step to the side or a turn and a walk indoors.

Neither one of those is happening and the expression he's exhibiting right now is not encouraging.

"One coffee and then they leave," he says quietly.