The Third Chapter

He was all I could think about. A week had passed since that moment in the garden. With Reyes. My eyes flickered to him. Ember orbs bore into my jade ones. My face flushed. Looked away. He was staring. Why?

We were in group today. It was boring. Things went the same as always. One by one, we were asked how we were feeling today. Asked by name, perhaps we'd like to share something from our past. Usually, there are no volunteers. Until today. When he spoke up. His voice hard, coarse. Gravelly. Tired.

"Drawing is how I hide. It's my mask; the only way I find beauty in this ugly world."

It was then that I looked up. Reid may have been staring at me, but Reyes was glaring at him. Yet, Reid stayed focused on me. Curious. I didn't understand it. Didn't want to. Didn't care. I stopped listening for the rest of group session. I wish I hadn't.

It was later, a few hours had passed. I sat in my cornflower blue chair once more. There was a strong wind today. Rain. The sky was dark and the trees danced to the wind. It was mesmerizing and beautiful. I could hear a slight shuffle from behind me. Sneakers. So much for being alone.

"Mind if I sit here?"

Reyes. I gave him a faint nod, not knowing what to do. Not wanting to talk. What could he possibly want from me? I couldn't give him anything. I didn't want to give him anything. Wouldn't matter anyways. He sat. Gazed out the window too. But mainly, Reyes stayed silent. Later, he spoke.

"I don't get it," I focused on him but stayed looking out the window, "He looks at you like you're his world, but you don't seem to care. Or do you just not notice?"

I heard him sigh after a moment, knowing I wasn't going to speak. A deep inhale. He stands. On the exhale, he's gone. Who was he talking about? Reid. He didn't know. Know what I was. Who I was. Didn't matter, still, I was curious. Curious-er and curious-er. Until it kills the cat.

Soon, Reyes' spot was replaced by Razor. She smiles unconvincingly. There's pain behind it. Sorrow. So much pain. Exhaustion. Mahogany eyes tearing up. She moves her chair closer. Then closer once more. Rests her head on my shoulder. Her hair smelled of strawberries and dye. A silent sign of forgiveness. Something I so desperately needed. Something I so desperately craved. Something I couldn't ask for. Didn't know how. We just sat there. Silent. Not moving. It was an hour or two before she spoke.

"I love you, Lahn. You and Hero. Maybe even Benson. You're my family. The only ones that matter anymore. I know you couldn't be there for my moment of weakness, but it's okay. I understand that you couldn't, but talk to Hero. You guys take care of each other, okay?"

Warning bells. Warning bells. Curious-er.