Part 10

The next morning I woke up so happy, I could still feel the soft touch of Benny's lips on mine.But I also woke up determined and ready to play my ass off.

Now that I have nothing to worry about, I don't have to fear Phillips and I'm gonna get back at him for all the misery he has caused me.

I got up and put on black jean shorts and a white tank top with a baggy flannel over it. I added my dodgers hat to top it off, then I went downstairs.

For some reason Dad was bringing a suitcase out to the car. Scotty was standing outside with mom. I followed behind Dad out the door.

"Whats going on?" I asked

"Your grandma isn't doing well honey" Dad said putting a hand on my shoulder "Your Mom and I are going to hospital to be with her. We are also getting a hotel across the street".

"Why can't I come?" I asked

"You'll get to see her again y/n don't worry, just not now"

I got a bit worried for grandma. She is at a hospital about an hour and a half from our house so it would be too much to have my parents to drive back and forth.

"I don't know how long we will be gone but it will at least be a few nights. I trust you two to hold down the fort". Dad said shutting the trunk of the car. Mom was already in the car

"We will" I said giving him a hug before getting in the car

"Don't go busting your eye again Scott!" he said getting in the car

"No promises" he said laughing a bit. I laughed too.

Then they waved goodbye and drove off.

"You ready to play?" I asked Scotty nudging his shoulder a bit

"Are YOU ready to play?" he asked nudging me back

"I'm all good now" I said "zero setbacks. All I want right now is to beat Phillips to the ground which I will go today". I said hoping on my bike getting ready to go.

The field Phillips played on was a bit farther than the sandlot so we couldn't walk there.

Scotty hopped on his bike too. Then I saw Benny riding down his driveway toward us ready to go.

"Ready?" He asked

"Ready as I'll ever be" I said

He slid his bike in right next to mine and placed his lips onto mine for a hot second.

"I've wanted to do that all morning" He said placing his feet back on the pedals.

I smiled and blushed.

"Did I miss something??" Scotty said in confusion

Benny and I looked at each other then I looked at Scotty "Let's just say we had a pretty deep conversation about a lot of things yesterday" I said

"Ok then" Scotty said, he widened his eyes a bit and started pedaling.

"Wait up!" I said getting set on my bike

~ One bike ride later ~

Once we got there the all the boys were ready to go and so was Phillips' team

We laid our biked outside the fence and ran over to them.

"Ok guys" Squints said and huddled us all together "Play hard and lets win today and show those blockheads who they're messing with!" We all yelled and cheered and got out gloves on, the other team was batting first.