Chapter 11

Charlotte

Three rum and cokes later I'm feeling warm and fuzzy and it's almost last call but I don't want to leave this booth.

We've never kissed in public. We've never felt more like a real, true couple, and just for the night I'm going to let Charlie win out and revel in the feeling. Charlotte can come back in the morning and sneak out of bed and play it cool, but until then I want to enjoy this weird parallel universe where a famous boy wants to kiss me at my favorite bar and is jealous at the mere thought of me having an ex-boyfriend.

I didn't mean to admit it. I just didn't want to answer why he can't call me Charlie, and it was the first thing that popped out.

It's true. Embarrassing, but true.

And with alcohol it makes these lines very blurry.

His hand runs up and down my back gently while he confesses he's never really had a girlfriend either and the weird series of confessions that follows makes me want to say yes when he drunkenly asks me to go on tour with him.

I blame the fourth rum and coke, and silence him by making out again. We're getting sloppy, and I know there's a chance someone could see but a little part of me wants them to see. And take pictures. So the world will see he cancelled a concert to be with me.

Even drunk I know that's really selfish, so I rein it in and pull away, clasping his face between my palms. "There are still people here."

"Drunk people," he shrugs and smiles, a huge, drunk smile that might be my new favorite. He strains against my hands to kiss me again.

I'm learning he's a very, very affectionate drunk.

I keep my hold and keep our lips apart, shaking my head. "Let's get out of here."

"I don't hate that idea," he shakes his head once and I fumble with my phone, trying to open the app.

"Charlie," Josh comes up behind me, a worried look on his face.

"What's up?" I ask, the room spinning a little too much when I turn to face him.

I can almost hear Zayn growl and I squeeze his knee under the table. I told him there's nothing between us.

"I tried my best to steer people clear of this booth, but someone saw him and there's a ton of paparazzi outside."

"Fuck," I grumble. "Thanks for the heads up."

"You can take the back alley exit," Josh offers.

"Can an Uber get through there?" I ask. This problem has presented itself before, and I've found out a lot of drivers don't really bend over backwards to find back alleys for random clients that may or may not be harboring someone famous.

"Probably not," Josh replies. "But I can take you guys. My car's parked in the back. Let me just let them know I can't close up tonight."

He says it carefully, not wanting to poke the jealous, drunk bear at my side.

"That would be great," I elbow Zayn before he can get in a rude comment and get up to follow.

Before we leave the table I glance down at our closed tab receipt to make sure he tipped Josh well. I'm pleasantly surprised he tipped way more than well; he matched the bill amount. I shouldn't have doubted his generosity; it's one of the sweetest things I've noticed about him.

We follow Josh through the back as I attempt to sober myself up.

"I'm sorry. We should have just gone back to the hotel," I apologize, looking over and meeting his eyes that look caramel colored in the light.