Chapter 38

Zayn

"And I see you brought your beautiful girlfriend. Hello, Charlotte!"

The thirtieth interview cooed over at the brunette on my left and I gave my canned response. I hated that they all knew her name. I hated it more when the interviewers were male and eyed her pretty face and perfect body up close.

I only sort of wished I hadn't invited her when things like that happened. Or when people tried to push her out of the way in the rare event our hands were separated. Or when they requested a solo interview and I had to leave her with Joe to wait for me a few steps away.

But it was so nice to be able to find her eyes in the middle of a question. Or press my lips to her hair and breathe her in between outlets.

I couldn't tell if she was mad that I kissed her on the carpet. I was a little mad at myself. But I needed to. And I wanted to. To thank her. I'd never felt so comfortable amidst the screaming and the yelling and the flashes.

Paparazzi encounters were different. I was always worried for her safety, not wanting them to hurt her or say rude things. But at an event like this I could relax. People shout names because they want to get the good shot; they're not trying to elicit a reaction. They're doing their job and it's all routine and organized.

I'd done so many red carpets, and felt so awkward standing and holding the same facial expression for the appropriate amount of seconds, walking a few steps and doing it again and again.

Doing it as a team felt so much better. I could lean against her and I could feel her hand running up and down my back supportively. I wish I could take her everywhere with me, to have this calming sensation anywhere.

"How long have you two been together?"

I opened myself up to this line of questioning when I asked to keep her by my side all night, I know, but I also know these answers will make headlines tomorrow. Whatever scraps they can take from tonight will be made into a much bigger deal in the morning.

I answer my stock answer of not long enough and say we met through friends like we rehearsed earlier. And my publicist, poor Jane, does all the dirty work of helping me avoid the bolder, more personal questions that some try to ask.

"He's wonderful. I really think he's going to win tonight," Charlie beams to the next line of questioning, doing a great job of bringing things full circle and back to the Grammys.

Jane has to be in love with her by now.

"And is it true you guys are now living together?"

I'm expecting Jane to interfere but she doesn't, leaving Charlie and I on our own so I nod.

"Yes, we are."

"And you bought her a car?"

"I did."

"And is it true that-"

Charlotte pokes me in the back as Jane finally starts to pay attention and navigates us away from this line of questioning.

"That's embarrassing," she hisses into my ear and I offer her a quick sorry.

I forgot that wasn't public information, and I don't think there's anything embarrassing about it but I have to be sensitive to the issues with her mom and how much she hates me buying her things.

The next one goes a little smoother, and it's obvious the on camera shoots are greedier to ask her questions.

"We've all seen your picture everywhere, but we haven't heard the voice that captured Zayn Malik's heart!" A particularly obnoxious entertainment host points out. "Charlotte, can you say a few words for us?"

It's so awkward that I have to fight my face's natural reaction to cringe, and I'm not surprised when Charlie still manages to handle it like a champ. She tells them how excited she is to be here, and how she's so proud to be at my side.

"So you think he'll be going home with a few of those statues?"

"I definitely do."

It's like she's getting better with each interview, she absorbs the attention a little better each time and the cheesy, publicist-approved answers fall from her lips a little easier.

I'm proud but worried. The more she charms the world, the higher in demand her pictures will be.

Eventually we near the end of the carpet; I can see the entrance to the Staples Center from where we stand. Just a few more outlets separate us from being able to sit and relax.

"Last four, they're solos so I'll make sure Charlotte gets in all right," Joe says.

"Alright," I say, reluctant to separate. I turn to Charlie, who looks relieved to get out of the circus.

"I love you, see you in a minute," I say, aware how many eyes are on us but not really caring. I kiss her and hold her hand until it's ripped from mine when she walks away. I watch her dark head down the rest of the path until it disappears from view and Jane pushes me to the next interview.

"Now that was a cute moment we just caught!" the host exclaims. "Zayn Malik saying goodbye to his gorgeous girlfriend Charlotte Ray. Now you guys just seem crazy about each other, is it safe to say that it is love?"

"It is," I nod, biting my lower lip at the thought and giving an uncharacteristically candid answer.

There's no way to lie.