My Mate.

My Family, My Mate, The Age Gap and Me. 

This is a spin off of one of my earlier stories, I Dream About My Teacher.

Drew's POV

“Ava’s in labour.” The call was shouted and repeated through my head, by first my mother and simultaneously my twin. Lydia had been mentally monitoring Ava, because Ava was due any day. That day was apparently today. The rest of the family took up the call of: “Ava’s in labour.” Joyously chanting it as they all came to the family home. Ava and my brother Holden’s little girl is on her way and only Lydia and I know what Ava is having. This precious little girl will be our first niece and Mum and Dad’s first grandchild, despite the fact that our youngest sibling Will was the first to find his mate. But Will and Julie have chosen not to have children until they finish Uni. Neither my twin, Lydia, nor our other sister, Maria, have found their mates, and neither have I, for that matter.

“We are nearly here, and I need to talk to you. Ava’s friend Sofia is driving us, she’s a human and Ava wants her to stay. Ava hasn’t admitted it, but she really wants and needs her best friend.” Holden sent up a warning as they approached the house. I headed outside as I knew that he would need my help to get Ava out of the car. Lydia had everything ready in the back yard and I was to help Holden bring Ava straight out there. Based on how far apart her contractions were, which was not far at all, we very carefully extracted Ava from the car mid-contraction. I know that despite how careful we were that she was in a lot of pain and even in human form she wanted to howl, but bit her tongue for the sake of her friend. I could smell my mate nearby, but I forced myself to put that to one side until I have Ava taken care of. As a doctor, Ava is more important than my mate right now. I will deal with my mate as soon as I can and that is the best that I can do.

We got Ava settled on the mattress and the whole family was discussing Ava’s human friend, Sofia, and whether we could allow her to stay. Ava desperately wants to shift, and after a very short but intense mental conversation about it, we all agree that she can stay. I’m not going to lie, I may have pushed it a little, because there is only one new scent, Sofia’s, and the new scent belongs to someone that I am pretty damn sure is my mate. Lydia looked at me seriously, the only one to guess why I pushed so hard for Sofia being allowed to stay. “I’ll take the business end, and Drew can baby sit/sedate the human as necessary.” She announced, Holden nodded and went off to speak to Sofia. He motioned for me to follow so that he could introduce me. When Holden explained what we are Sofia turned pale, I thought that she was going to faint. But she surprised me, she gulped, steeled herself and nodded at Holden.

Holden returned to his mate and told her that all was well and that he would stay with her. I told Sofia to step back or Ava would kill her. Sofia was shocked, but taking these shocking (for her) circumstances quite well really. She did as I asked, and she had more questions, I answered them as best I could. Mostly she struggled with the fact that I was communicating with Holden and Ava. Sofia was nearly shouting in her head the mental questions that she had, like: ‘Why is she growling? I hope I didn’t do something wrong. Oh God I hope she’s not going to hurt me!’ In response to Ava growling in my direction. I reassured my little mate, and took her hand and pressed it back to Ava’s neck. Ava sighed in contentment at the touch, as did Sofia. ‘Why don’t I want Drew to let go?’ She thought, loudly I might add because my darling little brother laughed at me. I snap at him, “Shut your trap little brother, we’ll deal with that later, but yes I think so.” I see Sofia giving me a confused sideways glance. “I’ll explain later.” I whisper to her, and hope that she will accept me. Ava had laughed shortly after Holden, and then the whole family started. I growled at the lot of them, but mostly Holden. Sofia leaned into me when I growled, she felt safe, maybe she wouldn’t have any trouble accepting me at all. I was worried because Ava had growled at Holden earlier, and Sofia had cowered away.