Prize giving and living.

I called Ava after lunch to see how she had coped with my horrible family. “Hey Sof, how are you doing? That pain’s gotta be pretty bad right?” “Yeah, how did you know?” She chuckled, “Because just after I found out what Holden is, and who he is to me, we were separated; however briefly, and I couldn’t believe how bad it hurt. As soon as Holden came back to me, I was fine; we didn’t suffer quite as badly as you because Holden never marked nor mated me until after our wedding, we kept up as much physical contact as possible which was tolerable and possible because he took that leave of absence.” I sobbed quietly, “Aw honey, it’ll be alright in the end; Lupe and I are going to come and visit with you everyday starting tomorrow, I hope you’ve got your outfit ready, because tomorrow is prize giving.” “Is he going to be there?” “Of course he is, he loves you Sof. And we get to watch my sexy husband handing out everyone’s certificates.” “Ava, I hope you realise that I just have never looked at Holden like that, so you calling him sexy kind of creeps me out.” Ava chuckled. “So miss Ava, how are you doing after a visit from my family this morning?” “Oh Sof, I think you’ll find that your family upset you more than me, or anyone else. Drew isn’t happy, but he sort of understands and Angie is pissed that they are getting in the way of your mate bond. A mate bond is sacred, but she also remembers that your family are human and have absolutely no idea what they are doing to you. Which is exactly why I will be visiting you everyday.” “Thank you so much I don’t know what I would do without seeing you and my little niece.” “Aw you call her that already, Drew hasn’t even proposed yet!” “That’s what I keep saying.” We both laugh. “Oh hey Sof, I have someone here that would like to say hello, hang on I’ll hand the phone over.”

I hear the phone change hands and then I hear the most amazing sound in all the world. “Hey Sofia, how are you doing? I miss you.” I sob, “I miss you too Drew!” “Baby, don’t cry, we will figure this out and then we will be together properly.” “I can’t help it, I’m so happy to hear your voice; but I miss you so much it hurts.” “I know, I feel the same way. I have some good news, I’ve found us a house; Ava is going to bring you pictures tomorrow, and when you two get to go ‘shopping’ you’ll come to see the house, if you like it when you see it in person I’ll buy it for us.” “That sounds amazing Drew, but what about Lydia, will she be living with us?” I could hear Drew chuckling. “You’re so cute sometimes, until I remember you have claws like a mountain lion.” “Or maybe a werewolf.” I suggest, which makes him laugh. “Lydia is staying with Mum and Dad until she can find an apartment that she likes.” I let out a sigh of relief. “You don’t like my twin?” He asks in an amused tone. “No, I do like her. It’s just that when we finally get to be together properly, I don’t want to be living with anyone else, not just your twin.” Drew laughs and I smile. I can hear Mum coming towards my room and the smile drops right off my face. “Ava, I’ve got to go. I’ll see you tomorrow ok?” Drew’s tone becomes serious, “Yeah, I’ll let Ava know; I’ll see you as soon as I can, let me know when you can view the house and I’ll meet you there.” “Ok, look after that baby. Bye.” “Bye beautiful.” He whispers just as Mum walks into my room without knocking.

I pretend that she’s not there. Actually, I think I succeed at it as well, because I have no idea what she said, and I never said a word the whole time that she was in my room. Kenneth came in after Mum left. “Hey sis, you know that I love you right?” I chuckle weakly, “Of course, who couldn’t?” I say in a weak imitation of my old self, and I lift the covers so that he can climb in beside me. It might sound, hell it might even be weird; but it’s how we’ve always been, well for as long as we’ve known each other. Kenneth holds me tight in his arms, hoping to make the pain stop; neither of us can stand to see the other hurting. I guess sometimes it is better to be step-siblings, we have a bond that very few real siblings our age have. As I’ve been thinking about out sibling relationship, Kenneth must have been thinking about how to say what he wanted. “I want to help.” I look at him curiously. “What do you mean?” “I mean that I would probably feel much like you do right now if they said that I couldn’t be with Austin. I love him.” I doubt that he would feel exactly the way I do as neither of them are werewolves. But I don’t doubt that he loves Austin, or that he would feel like his world had been ripped apart if Mum and Darren said that they couldn’t be together. “I love you Kenneth!” “I love you too Sof! Now how are we going to get you some alone time with your forbidden fruit?” I chuckle lightly, and direct my thoughts to Drew for a moment. ‘According to Kenneth, you are my forbidden fruit.’ I allow him to hear laughter in my tone, and all I get back is Drew’s amused laughter.