In the end it's all about the dress.

“Speaking of getting married...” Drew said as he dropped to one knee. My jaw dropped, I knew this was coming, but I didn’t think that it would be so soon. When he told me to be absolutely sure before letting him mark me, because it would be until death do us part, I knew then that we would be getting married at some point; but I have to admit I thought that he was going to wait until I had been to uni or something. “Sofia Burges, will you marry me?” A faintly hysterical laugh burst from my lips. “Of course, Drew! I love you! Yes! I’ll marry you.” Mum screamed. Drew and I both turned to see why she was screaming. Mum was jumping up and down and looking at us. When I looked at Drew, he just seemed confused and he shrugged. After a couple of moments she stopped screaming, and then she grabbed us both in an enormous hug. Darren was still sitting in the same place and he looked a little stunned, well a lot really. He will be fine; I hope.

“Ahh, I’m getting married!” I cried, “To the man of my dreams, and the father of my baby.” “Why did you have to make it sound like two different people?” Drew whined. I laughed, “Because you are both of those people. And because I like to watch you squirm.” “Oh, I can’t believe my baby’s getting married.” Mum shouted, that seemed to wake Darren up; except that he fainted.

Asides from the fact that Drew had to stay in his towel, and scrounge through the scraps of fabric on the floor for the ring he had bought for me, we all settled in for a quiet family night. And at the end of the evening Kenneth came home to find everything had been sorted and that Darren had been left where he fainted. The best part was that I got to take Drew to bed with me, on the condition that we didn’t do anything that would give my mother nightmares. I sniggered at that, her and Darren had given me plenty of nightmares since we moved in.

The next morning, Drew and I packed my things and moved them to his room at the  Eastman family home; then  we headed to check out the house that Drew wanted to buy for us. I walked through the front door and I was hit by smells that told me more about the house than pictures ever could. There was no scent of fear in this house, and it was kept clean. It didn’t smell like old dirt or mould. Then I looked with my eyes and I fell almost as in love with the house as I am with Drew. I jumped on Drew, “I love it! Are you sure that you can afford it?” He grinned at me, “Well, with a mortgage on about half of it, but yeah we can.” He turned to the agent and said, “She loves it, the contract can go through whenever you like. The sooner the better, I want to get us moved in and the baby’s room ready before it arrives.” The man nodded in return and picked up his phone.

Everything was going along nicely, three weeks after seeing the house for the first time, we moved in. I was trying to pick out a wedding dress, but I still couldn’t decide whether we should get married before or after the baby arrives. Drew walked in while I was poring over magazines. “Love, I rang a friend from when I went to uni and asked them to help out with the wedding dilemma...” I raised my eyebrow at him. “Are you thinking about the dress, and how it will look and fit when trying to choose a date?” I blushed, “That and they will have to keep letting it out if we get married before, it just won’t work. And besides, it’s not that long to wait, I’m due in four months.” “But you would like to get married before the baby is born, in an ideal world?” I nodded. “Jamie, would you come in here please.” He called back to the front hall. “What if my friend can design the dress in a month and make it about three days before the wedding? You would have to be in the workroom for constant fit as you go, or so I’m told.” My eyes lit up, but then I frowned. “Drew, I’m not sure that I would feel comfortable having some girl you knew at uni, make my wedding dress.” Drew just grinned at me, and then someone walked into the sun room where I had been combing through wedding magazines. “You’re Jamie the designer?” I asked the cute, but very flamboyantly gay, man standing before me. He nodded, then whipped a notebook out of his pocket and started drawing with a huge grin on his face. He sat down and kept drawing, I couldn’t get over it, this man hasn’t even spoken to me yet. Nearly two hours later he hands me the notebook. I look at the drawing and gasp, he hasn’t just drawn a dress; he drew me in a dress. And the dress is perfect. I leap at both of them and draw them into the tightest group hug I can manage. “Thank you.” I whisper, and intend it for them both. I am going to be Mrs Sofia Eastman before our baby is born.