Reason × of × Living

Book pages flipping could be heard at Leorio's place, even though he had just finished his exams, his determination made him want to make a big effort to achieve his dream.

Peacfully skimming through his books while taking down notes on a notebook and drinking freshly brewed coffee while he was at it.

But his phone started to ring. His weird annoying ringtone started to play disturbing his serene study time.

... ♪♪♪ ...

"Hello?" Leorio said as he picked up the phone.

"Leorio! Come meet me at the hunter hospital quickly!" Kurapika was heard on the other line nearly screaming.

"H-Huh?? What? Why? What happened? Did you get hurt?!"

"Gon was taken to the ER!"

.

.

.

beep.. beep.. beep.. beep...

The sound of a heartbeat monitor echoed in a big empty hospital room. There were four people there; the doctor, two visitors, and the patient. The patient was unconscious, and he looked so peaceful yet empty.

He was covered in bruises and wounds, some stitches and bandages too. He looked beat up so badly as if he was on the verge of death if he wasn't taken to the hospital on time. And to think this person was one of the progressively strongest prodigies in all of the Hunter Association.

It scared both Kurapika and Leorio, both how bad of a state Gon was in and scared of how someone managed to turn him like this.

"Luckily he was found by Hisoka, we were all shocked when he suddenly barged in panting like he ran marathon." The doctor said jokingly trying to lift the mood.

Kurapika just stared at Gon, mouth open and eyes wide. While Leorio had a scrunched expression, he was angry at who could've done this to Gon.

"Where's Hisoka?" he asked.

"He's at the rooftop" the doctor replied.

Leorio angrily dropped his suitcase on a bench with force, his aura starting to grow as he walked out of the room stomping towards the elevator.

He agressively pressed on the elevator buttons and was tapping his feet, his face scrunched with anger as he stared at the numbers on the elevator screen go higher.

Finally the elevator sounded a 'ting' and automatically opened when it reached the destination.

Leorio stepped out, stomping towards the red-haired man who was leaning on the fence staring at the scene. He turned to see who was approaching him so hurriedly and angrily and was surprised when a man in a suit suddenly grabbed him by the collar.

"Was it you who did this?!" Leorio stated gritting his teeth in anger, his aura unconsciously spilling from his fists.

Hisoka looked away and only sighed. He slapped away Leorio's grip on him with great force and turned back to where he was facing earlier.

"He... got attacked by a beast at Kukuroo Mountain..."

He said with a low voice.

Leorio was confused, his eyebrows scrunched as he thought, 'Gon? Taken down by just a beast? That's impossible..'

"How do I know you're not lying? It's impossible for Gon to be knocked out by just some beast, one near Killua's at that." Leorio said.

"I.. was heading home after I stayed over at Illumi's.. Then I saw him on the way to the gate and he was almost... dead.." Hisoka explained.

It was true, Hisoka really did just find Gon all beaten up near the Zoldyck Gates, where he got a glimpse of an unknown beast that quickly fled into the darkness when he found the boy.

Even for Hisoka it was so hard to believe, what kind of beast could have been so strong that it took out Gon? Yet why did it flee at his mere presence?

It couldn't have possibly been Mike.. no, Mike was trained to attack only those who didn't go through the 12 gates.

Hisoka took out his phone and dialed Illumi, his phone rang for about 8 seconds before the ringing was cut off and his line connected.

"Sup." Illumi said through the phone.

"Hey uh.. Is there perhaps any other beast other than Mike at your place?" Hisoka asked.

"Hmm... No not really I don't think there's any.. Oh! but recently there's been a Foxbear family that came out of nowhere and has been hiding well near the gates."

"F..oxbears...??"

Hisoka repeated almost sounding disappointed. Leorio overhearing this, was shocked and worried.

"Alright thanks." Hisoka said before dropping the call.

"How the... hell... Foxbears??..." Leorio muttered as he scratched his head and walked towards the elevator, Hisoka following behind him.

Kurapika had already sat beside the bed where Gon laid in, waiting patiently for the boy to regain consciousness. He had hoped to get some answers from Gon.

A knock was heard on the door, "Come in." Kurapika said.

The door creaked as it opened and the two men entered. Hisoka looked at Gon and felt sadness, for real. He didn't know why he felt this way and he would've usually left out of boredom or lost interest, but something about this made him uneasy.

"I-It was a... Foxbear.. apparently...." Leorio stuttered his words out almost sounding like even he didn't believe himself.

"..?" Kurapika was speechless, he had been the one to witness Gon's strength first hand after he took a break from being a Hunter. It was simply impossible for him to nearly die because of a Foxbear.

He sensed that something was wrong. And was convinced to get the truth out of Gon no matter what.

"..why didn't you let me die...."

A hoarse, low voice surprised the three men in the room. All of their attentions suddenly shifted to one person in the room.

His eyes looking straight ahead with no more luster in them, a blank expression as if he had forgotten how to feel.

"What the hell do you mean?!" Kurapika stated half-angry.

Gon looked at him and chilled the blonde to the bone. He looked so... empty. He was alive but he wasn't living, as if he was just a moving corpse.

"You should've let me die." Gon said and looked at Hisoka.

All three were shocked, this came out of nowhere. Even Hisoka was wide-eyed at what the boy had just said. No one would've ever thought, that this weird kid who was always optimistic and hopeful, Gon Freecs, would become someone like this.

To be continued...